Tuesday, July 27, 2004

If you can't say something nice...

I'm propped up against the headboard at the Holiday Inn Express in Boulder, Colorado at 6:30am and I just can't sleep anymore. After the whirlwind of the eastern tour, we had only a single day to regroup before heading right back out west for the Rockygrass festival in Lyons, Colorado. As I recover my consciousness this morning, I am flooded with a stream of memories, thoughts, ruminations etc. regarding the eastern tour. My mom always insisted that, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". So, to stay true to my raising, I won't say anything about the mind numbing traffic jams, the aggressive drivers, the endless road construction, and the lack of emergency shoulders on the turnpikes. I also won't say anything about the suffocating streams of trucks, the brown death effect of acid rain on the forests, or the swiss cheese pavement that rattled and shook The Chief and our kidneys without mercy. I also won't tell stories of heartburn, stomach aches, cramps, constipation and nights on end without sleep or decent food due to the relentless miles that lay before us. And I won't describe RV parks which close at 10 pm (with security gates!), typos in the RV bible that sent us miles out of our way or AAA maps that had more detail than the actual landscape and, as a result, helped us to get MORE lost. I won't relate these experiences because what's the point? It's pretty much obvious that touring the east in an 1982 Winnebago is going to be chock full of anxiety, and discomfort. Case closed.

So, how about some nice things about the east? The beauty of this part of the country is subtle in my opinion. There are plenty of mountains, hills, valleys and rivers. But so often the beauty was so fleeting that you would miss it if you weren't looking. There are lush forests. There are surging waterfalls. There are quant towns with 200+ years of history. There are sooted and steep steel town walkups with gigantic windows to pass on the breeze built in a time long before air conditioning. And there are eastern angels too, who stop to help you just because you have a Missouri license plate. There are vegetarians who take pride in disguising their meatless entrees for us carnivores with wholesomeness and spice. There are amazing bridges which span the countless valleys and rivers with function and style. There is our nation's capital which, when speeding through, seems so small but contains all of the landmarks that you've known since grade school but might not have ever seen- all within distance of the naked eye (depending on which side of The Chief you are looking out of). There is the Big Apple who's perfect subway takes you to do whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want, quicker than it would take you to read a map and find a parking place. And finally there are all the fabulous eastern music fans who absolutely got a kick out of this small town, naive group of midwestern musicians who had the crazy idea that they could take their show out east with nothing more than their sweaty suits, overworked instruments, a tired but reliable 30 foot house-on-wheels, and their relentless enthusiasm to get them through it.

You know, come to think of it, it wasn't half bad...

6 comments:

  1. Hi Phil....Greg from St. Louis here.

    I love listening to the stories and the thoughts that run through your heads during the tours of this vast country of ours. I only wish for ya'll that you were riding around in a nice big tour bus, with "The Wilders" blazoned across the side, like your website shows. And of course, there would be an additional driver and navigator so that you could just relax, eat well, sleep even better, and enjoy the ride. I wish ya'll the very best in your travels, and appreciate hearing about life on the road. Doesn't sound like it's so glamorous for those just getting started on it. But I am certain that in the future, comfort will be affordable and obtainable for you. Your band is incredible, and this level of touring will pass.

    I heard on the radio (KDHX) that The Wilders are playing once again at Off Broadway on Friday, 06August. However, I don't see it on the website's schedule page. If it's really happening, Carl and I (and hopefully a few friends) will definitely be there! We always look forward to seeing The Wilders. We're just thrilled that we don't have to drive all the way to Kansas City to get our fix!

    Take care, Phil. Tell everyone Carl and I said hello, and we'll see ya'll in a couple weeks, I hope!

    Gregory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg -- I'm stuck in KS today (more on that in an upcoming post) so want to respond that YES we will be there on August 6! Sorry it's not been posted, my bad, I'm gonna fix it right now, OK?

    Thanks for the good words and well wishes. Hearing from our friends makes our lives less loaded with the weight of challenges. We appreciate it!

    We'll do our best to spread the word in St. Louis (guess all of a sudden, that's coming right up!) and look forward to seeing y'all there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember 3 years ago telling people that the Wilders had the makings of hitting it big, and you had better enjoy them now. I think I have seen you all about 30 times the last 3 years or so, and I am needing a fix. I am happy for you guys. Go ahead and wear out the Chief because in a short while you will be flying to the shows with a limo to take you to the stage. You are an inspiration to us all and you make life worth living. I haven't read anything from tickmeister in a while, what's up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember 3 years ago telling people that the Wilders had the makings of hitting it big, and you had better enjoy them now. I think I have seen you all about 30 times the last 3 years or so, and I am needing a fix. I am happy for you guys. Go ahead and wear out the Chief because in a short while you will be flying to the shows with a limo to take you to the stage. You are an inspiration to us all and you make life worth living. I haven't read anything from tickmeister in a while, what's up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx Betse for the verification. I don't think I was aware that you were responsible for the website. That must be sort of difficult to admininster while traveling around in a big metal box. (Oops....sorry about that Chief...didn't mean to dis you!) I also see that you have a 2pm show the following day in Kentucky. I'm thinking that ya'll aren't going to get much sleep before that show! But, at least there's no canyons or huge cities between here and there. :-)

    We are like way looking forward to seeing you guys again! Let's see, I've seen your band play 6 times (including the 3 times in SDC last October) in the past 10 months. At this rate, I just might outpace LVJ's record!!!! Carl and I are trying anyway. And I think that I just might have him talked into going to SDC with me again in October...woo-hoo! Ya'll should get a tin-type made of yourselves while you're there this year for a future publicity shot or cd art.

    Take care.

    Oh wait....does everyone in the band like pecan chocolate chip cookies?? There's a reason for this question.....

    Gregory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain, brother Phil. I have driven around back east a lot in the last several years, often pulling an unweildy flat bed trailer. All you say is true and it may even be worse. The interstate highway system seems to be running at or above capacity. Maybe we need a new plan, like building a few more railroads or something rational like that for a change. Write them congress fools and suggest that the government consider subsidizing railroads the way they subsidize highways and maybe it will get better someday. More railroads would mean more train wrecks, thus more song material for the Black Greasy Firemen. (That's a band, for you folks who don't live in Kansas City.)

    Meantime, stay with it. Opportunity is knocking, and as usual it is disguised as miserably hard work. If this stuff was easy, anybody could do it.

    Final preparations for the great tick convention are nearly done, and there damn sure ain't no traffic jams out here.

    ReplyDelete