Thursday, July 08, 2004

Here we are in our nation's capital

Hello friends,

Just a quick short post to let y'all know we are alive and well, but tired and hungry, after doing the Millenium Stage thing. I'll leave last night's escapades to brotherphil for posting. Today was pretty dang COOL. I mentioned on staqe that my folks might have once dreamed of me playing the Kennedy Center, though not quite in this way... (meaning the classical thing didn't become my full time thing... but it got me where I am today, so THANKS Mom!!) We had a real good crowd and we heard from some pals who said we rocked online. So go to the Kennedy Center website and see it for yourself! It's archived, or will be soon.

I was thinking about keeping these things short and since I am waiting on two absent bandmates to go eat, I'll go ahead and cut this off... more details to come on this quick whirlwind tour of the east!

Oh wait, I just have to add... I already love the east. My Mom comes from the East. I've been out this way a lot over the years (though it's been about 30 years since I last saw D.C.). PA is a great state and we'll be spending the next couple of days there. Oh wait, first we hit Rosendale NY tomorrow. Anyway. My point is, reader, that the west was all new to me but this is more familiar and I feel completely different about this trip. Kinda like going to an old home.

That's all I wanted to say. (almost) Someday I hope I'm not exhausted when I write an entry and maybe I'll actually make some deeper observations. So far the depths of what I can observe are HUNGER. And TIRED. And wow, isn't this a nice suite we're in... yes a real SUITE.

Somebody stop me before this turns into another long post! Ok, wait... yeah. I can stop myself.

Just

watch

me.

4 comments:

  1. The east is wonderful, especially for a midwestern oid time music freak. It's so cool just to drive aorund and see the names of places. I drove into Washington DC from the south one time and looked up at a sign and noticed that I was driving on the Lee Highway. Now I'm sure that the local folks will consider me hopelessly provincial, but when you've heard the Lee Hiway Blues all your life, your first time on the actual road is pretty dang significant. Same with the Blue Ridge, etc., etc. Washington DC itself is a really cool place. You all were within a stone's throw of the National Art Museum, but likely to pressed for time to check it out.

    Hey Timmer, do you live in IA? Saw your post about going to Clear Lake. I have some musical friends up around Red Oak and points north. Drop me a note at dfrazier@northmo.net. (I assume I can do that, give my address. If I can't, I suppose the Blog monster will deal with me.) Heck, maybe you are one of my musical friends. Anyway, might be able to help with your habit in less than 42 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza! and a heartfelt Wowza, to boot!

    I drove over to Ben & Tricia's to watch you guys on the web tonight. Their three-year-old Maddie decided to join me at the computer, and when the guy who introduced you came out and mentioned bluegrass, Maddie scrunched up her face and said (in her most disgusted-by-the-very-concept voice), "Blue grass? What is the blue grass? I've seen the green grass before. What is the blue grass?"

    She was also confused when Ike sang about being blue the first time. I explained that meant "sad" sometimes, and she sussed it out for herself when V-8 Blues was being introduced.

    She clapped for most every song, when she wasn't distracted by the fact the curtain kept changing colors.

    Also, she was very concerned that Betse was wearing the fiddle around her neck (we didn't have good resolution). I tried to explain, but I guess I'll have to bring her to one of your K.C. events so she can see it in person.

    She also found it very amusing when Betse and/or Phil would "run away". She decided it was to go get a drink.

    As for myself, I enjoyed the show. Who knew nigh unto 20 years ago that I'd be watching Ike (along with Betse and the other two "yo-yos"... but I hadn't met you nigh unto 20 years ago) over this crazy thing called the internet as he performed in Washington D.C.?

    Great show. More of them need to be broadcast over the internet. I'm sure Ben & Tricia won't mind me coming over to watch via their broadband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, y'all -- and speaking of feedback, there was NONE yesterday even at soundcheck. Sigh of relief!

    It's pretty darn cool that y'all were able to watch live and knowing that you were out there was a great thing.

    Oh Professor... we did Cleveland on the way out... so that would have been Wed. night... and there were 8 people there! Having some of your peeps there might have been a good thing; oh well... we actually had a good time anyway, though we wished we could have come to DC a day earlier to really spend some quality time.

    I know we were so close to all the museums and good stuff... but no time... and we crossed the Lee Highway last night while leaving the hotel (in Arlington) to go to Georgetown (to try to eat)... what were we thinking? There is NO place to park an RV there! Duh. Guess that's one reason they have taxis (though perhaps not the most common reason, granted). We failed to do anything but drive through and gawk.

    Every day is an opportunity to learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This DC show was awesome, I never thought about capturing it to disc, so if someone has it, I will gladly pay for a copy, I might even mow your lawn or clean your house.

    ReplyDelete