Wednesday, July 21, 2004

New York, New York (it's a helluva town)

Ok, I just started this blog and I searched for Wilders Rodeo Bar on Google and found this link...
 
http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc=202661;article=595;title=The%20Rodeo%20Bar

Pretty nice!  Guess what, that was from my Dad.  He's the official Big Guy.  Sneaky dude, he didn't mention this to me!  I'm cracking up because I found it on some obscure discussion page.  I didn't even know the Big Guy went on those discussion pages!  HI-larious.

Anyway, here's what I wrote in the Box about NY:

If I have time I will expand on this.  I'll tell you how we got to town, what we did w/ the Chief, where we stayed and what we did on the day of the show in NYC.  I'll tell you about my friend Pat who came to the show and where I know him from.  I'll tell you about broken strings (1 fiddle, several guitar, and I think even brotherphil did some damage) and the enthusiastic audience no matter what happened.  I'll tell you how much I'd like us to get back there and make more connections, raise awareness, raise the roof, etc.

But I'm damn sure gonna tell you about meeting Hank III.

After the show, I was leaving the stage area, while Phil was doing some selling from the stage...  a couple of guys were making their way up towards me, so I helped the first one w/ a sale and howdy-do, and the second one waited for me... he came on up and asked to buy both our CDs (somehow we didn't think it was prudent to lug in the gospel cds to NYC).  I joked a bit with him off the cuff about something, and he played along.  Then after I gave him his change, he shook my hand, said, "I'm Hank The Third, Hank Williams' grandson, and you guys are really great, here's my number..."  I gapsed, said breathlessly, "I'm a big fan..." and looked at his face and in his eyes, with a "ohmygodisitreallyyou" look, and he grinned and said he was undercover that night.  He was hiding his hair under his (ball) hat and he was dressed real simple.  He had happened by after going to another concert and ended up staying.  I then proceeded to enter into stupid fan mode, told him what a big fan of Beck's I am and how I enjoyed H3's part in the DVD movie I got from Beck's website (Hank plays a crazy singing junkyard owner and shares a scene w/ Robosaurus).  Well Hank was real cool and chatted with me for a few minutes, very down to earth and chill and of course I gave him my card too but don't even ask me, I'll never give out his number, but I'm sure gonna call him and see about what he's got in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment