Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Being the underdog... Grey Fox Festival

This is exactly the kind of place we need to play.  One of those festivals you don't want to leave (me, anyway).  We played early shows but word spread and Wilder Fever took over quickly.  When the lineup includes Ricky Skaggs, Tim O'Brien, Del McCoury Band and Earl Scruggs, you know you've either really lucked out to be there, or might possibly be on your way up from being there.  And it sure helped to hear from lots of festivalgoers that The Wilders were the hit band of the weekend!  Being the underdog in this kind of scene is pretty gratifying.  I think it shows us that we have what it takes to make people happy, and that is what makes us happy and gives us more chances for everyone's happiness.
 
Highlights:
 
Nate's folks were there, along with their very good friends from Susquehanna PA, who'd never been to a festival like that before.  They had a high time and we were glad of it.  Good to have some family support there too.
 
Tim O'Brien Band.  He's simply outstanding.  I first saw Tim w/ his sister Mollie at Winfield the first year I was there.  He is one of the reasons I fell in love with old time music.  He's an accomplished bluegrasser too, but he really keeps the old time going too and I am an admirer.  A sweet bonus was seeing Dirk Powell in the band that night, though instead of getting to hear him fiddle, I enjoyed him laying down the bass (yet another instrument he excels at). 
 
Girl Howdy!  Check out their website.  They rock.  They played a honky tonk dance and really had it going on.  I found myself wishing to play with them for a while.  Dangit, they already have a fiddler (oh yeah, I already have a band).
 
I visited with Dirk at the zydeco dance (which was a major highlight, great band, great time, great memory).  Of course I did the stupid fan thing and said a bunch of ridiculous things, but we ended up having a pretty good conversation and I hope next time we meet I'm not such an doofus.  I have a long history of being an old time groupie.  Whenever I've met someone I admire in old time music, I just get all dumb.  I say ridiculous things and don't make a whole lot of sense.  I have a lot of dreams about playing music with old time heroes of mine and I so rarely get the opportunity to meet them that I don't get used to it.  I feel like an underdog here too, but I also feel like I have such a long way to go and grow.  If we continue to play more of these festivals, I should have more opportunities to meet these folks I admire so much.  I guess I'd like to get used to it so I don't freak out every stinkin time.  And especially so I might have the opportunity to make some of those dreams come true.

1 comment:

  1. I was there! The Snuggly Beer-Belly Boys made the trip from Montreal, Canada to see EARL and ended-up much happier for seeing The Wilders! You're a terrific band! Thanks for posing for a picture with my honey, Sharon...(thanks to Nate's dad for offering to take it of the both of us but I prefer not to be in the picture due to my awe-inspiring physique) We also took some of the group on the main stage. If they turn-out OK, we'll send you some. We bought the gospel disc and it's good but we're sorry we didn't get the other two, as well. We played it and sang along with it during our six hour drive home. We're sorry that Phil had such an awful time with broken strings but nice recovery by Betse with the solo fiddle and voice numbers. I don't think we woulda got as big a taste of that stuff if the Silvertone hadn'ta kept shedding. Tell him I have a nice Harmony for sale if he had to put a boot through the guitar. You seem like very nice people. Call us up and come over for supper if you're ever around Montreal or Ottawa.
    Otis and Sharon

    ReplyDelete