Wednesday, August 04, 2004

And then there was Rockygrass...

We managed to make it out there though the Box was starting to loosen up... in the seams, that is. We had some water leakage issues in a few areas. (Ike & Nate did some work after we got home, so hopefully it's sealed up tight now.)

This post is of course way post-RG, so let's see if I can sum it up concisely:

It rained and rained and rained, until Sunday, when we played. So folks were real up and happy to see us, and let's just say we gave the people what they wanted! Overall yours truly had a terrific time hanging out a lot w/ MB Booker, our trusty and wonderful booking agent extraordinaire. Mary even introduced me to one of my main music heroes, Tim O'Brien. I was a stammering fan on the first intro, but a little later we hung out and chatted. The second meeting was much more mellow than the first, though I'm sure I still said stupid things. Those of you who know me, you know that's not hard for me to do!

Bottom line is this: we played two major fests two weekends in a row (Grey Fox and then RG) and we stood up real well against all the hot pickers and major acts in both cases. It's still fun to be the underdog! And yet I hope that we get beyond being the surprise act. I hope we get to the point where folks are just antsy to see us because they know they're going to see a great show.

I want to express my thanks and appreciation again to you all for sticking with us and for your votes of support. I hope y'all realize how much it helps us. Knowing we have good friends who wish us well goes a long way in the quagmire of challenges and leaks and loss of sleep and broken strings...

And Greg G., I know some of us sure like the cookies you mention... whatever your reason for asking, I'm sure it's a good one! Look forward to seeing you & Carl Friday!

This weekend, after our return to St. Louis, we face another new venue at the Int'l Bluegrass Museum in Owensboro, Kentucky (of course in KY). I'll let you know how it went next week, before we take off for a short Northern stint in MN and WI. Great adventures await us up north, culminating in Larryfest, which is where we discovered at least 18 distinct varieties of beer represented there, last year... that might be some kind of record in itself.

4 comments:

  1. That was quite an impressive list of performers at the Grey fox and Rocky Grass, and I do agree with you that the people will come out to see you because they have heard of you and they know it will be a great show, just like us uns out here in the hastings come out to see you. What's next, a major recording studio contract?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple of thoughts in response to this post.

    Your recent success just confirms some things that we have all discussed over the years, the main one being that popular music of all sorts is about entertaining the audience, not about being amazingly skilled. You all have relatively high skill levels, but I doubt that as a group you have been the hottest pickers or singers at any of the festivals that you have played this summer. In most all cases you were likely the most entertaining act. I think that you believe in every piece of music that you play and invest yourselves totally in each song as you play it. Few performers including the top pro's do that, but the few who do stand out and are almost always successful. Once you pass an entry level of proficiency, not more than 5% of a general audience will be able to judge your skill level. 95% will be able to judge your level of belief in your music. That's a lesson for all perfomers.

    The other comment is in regard to being a fan (short for fanatic for anybody who doesn't know) when meeting other folks that we admire. I have made that mistake and felt like a fool so I am in full sympathy. I have also in a small way been on the other side of that interaction as I am sure you all have. My thoughts when someone ove-reacts to something that I do on stage are 1. Your judgement is poor, and 2. Don't you have an actual life? I don't know a cure for this problem other than constantly reminding ourselves that saying too little is almost always better than saying too much. But you also got to remember that sincere appreciation should always be passed on. What are you gonna' do.

    Maybe it's just hard to be a Wilder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tickmiester, I totally agree with you, this band is into the music, but I think that Betsie's fiddle playing is outstanding. I am over 50 and I have been going to bluegrass festivals, Old time music concerts, etc, for over 30 years, and will tell you that Betsie ranks up there with the best. Of course that is my opinion, but I suspect after hearing "slick" fiddle players and not hearing that many Old Time Fiddler Players that I was ready to jump on the Wilders band wagon. I personally think that Betsie is the best fiddle player in the nation and that the Wilders are the premier old time band ever. Betsie bought me a beer to write that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you sold out way too cheap. For that kind of a plug, she should have bought you a 6 pack.

    ReplyDelete