Sunday, January 30, 2005

Oh for heaven's sake, relax folks!

Alright, now that I've got your attention. I'll give you an update. Sorry for the cliffhanger but I like to play around with y'all's minds a little bit just to keep you interested, you know? Yeah, The Chief ran like crap all the way down to Louisiana. Yeah, The Chief ran like crap 1/3 of the way back. But we've still got angels on our side and a couple of decent (albeit reluctant) mechanics on board that old claptrap. I won't go into great detail at this point but let's just say that Nate and Ike, with the help of an above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty employee of the local Natchitoches, Louisiana O'Reilly Auto Parts store, fixed that crap for good. The short story- it needed a new distributor. The old one looked like an rusty old antique at a roadside flea market. The boys fixed him up real good and we rolled like butter all the way home. So let's stop all this "we need to organize" stuff ok? We are grown ups. We are able deal with our transportation situation without calling Andy Hardy and Judy Garland-not that I don't appreciate the sentiment. Rest assured that when we REALLY need help, we'll beg like.... well, beggars, I guess. Oh, by the way, Dirk Powell was fantastic. Y'all can relax on the whole vehicle thing and start salivating at the aural prominence that is coming your way soon...

4 comments:

  1. Well done and well said. From personal experience, I would suggest two other prophylactic replacements. (That's a clean use of the word by the way.) Alternator and water pump. They wear out, they strand you when they fail, they're sometimes hard to find on the road, and they don't cost much. I will doing both soon on my current 180,000 mile work beast.

    I will also be buying a beer for any of you who show up at the HH tonight and ask in a belligerent fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY! In my defense, I'm the one who said, "No news is good news," and "You just as well laugh as cry," and some other lame-butted stuff my mother used to say!

    But please forgive my attempts to direct the worriers toward action rather than worry.

    It shan't happen again!

    I'm off to bed. 'night y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two cents on the transportation situation:

    We know we are running an RV like it's a bus. We know that means we are shortening its life span, especially the body. But I know that Nate and Ike have done some work on that engine to increase its life span, work that is not only impressive but a huge relief to me every time they tinker in that engine and the Chief comes out running better. I feel pretty dang confident about them being able to diagnose and fix a lot of stuff, and I am fairly assured that the mysterious Wilders luck will help us out when we really need it. So far, these stances have held.

    Ok. That said, I do believe that we need to keep our eyes open for a more reliable vehicle. We can't afford anything right now, but there is a better chance that this year our finances will significantly improve. And I do believe that when you put a wish or a need out there in the world, your chances of finding it or making it happen are improved. I kind of need to believe that for so many reasons. So... I am grateful our loving friends here are considering possibilities [albeit some of them a bit unrealistic, you know who you are:) ] and keeping their eyes open. The power of many people is more potent than one.

    So if we all put positive feelings and thoughts to this situation, or any other one that is important to any of us, for that matter, who knows what may transpire. We may all be surprised at how our wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird. I posted my comment before reading Peggy's words on the other post.

    See? Isn't it funny how thoughts can be shared and who knows what might come of them?

    It also may be an Aquarius thing... Peggy, when was your birthday?

    ReplyDelete