Saturday, June 26, 2004

We're almost There... (where are we going, anyway?)

Dear Reader,

Today is Thursday. The actual date I'm not sure of. I'm lucky to know the day of the week. Over four weeks on the road will do that to you. Actually, it's been that way since the first week on the road. (by the way, just heard Nate confirming w/ Ike that today is indeed Thursday. Ike asked me the day of week earlier today)

I feel the end of this round approaching rapidly now, so Reader, it seems appropriate to begin some analysis or at least review. That does pose a problem, though, because so many details are already fuzzy. I have not kept a regular journal in years, and while that would have been a good idea, it wasn't in the cards for me. This blog has been my journal, though a more public forum and not necessarily disclosing all details (which you might be thankful for). I am glad to have had this opportunity and plan to continue as our travels continue, even while admitting the following:

- Trying to keep up with this stuff without a permanent internet connection is a DRAG.

- I'm often too tired to put a lot of effort into these posts, which makes them truly streams of consciousness (or semi-consciousness), and I have sacrificed a certain amount of writerly style that I used to cultivate.

- Things are hard on the road and sometimes I just want to say that. Not in a pitiful way, but just to acknowledge. (KW - I can't remember how I said that yesterday but yes it is ok to say it, thank you)

- I'm spending a lot of time in contemplative mode during these travels, both in personal challenges and group dynamics. These are things that are not so much for public consumption and they take a lot of my mental energy, which ties in to the topic above of putting effort into the posts.

This ends the top section of acknowledging a few of the kinks involved in simply keeping up with this blog, Reader. Next I will attempt to highlight a few insights I've acquired on this journey, if I can remember any of them... but for now I must break as we just arrived in Missoula for our next to last bar show of Western Tour...

I can't break until I mention the great beauty of this big state. I think Montana is my favorite state on this tour as for beauty and natural splendor. I'm glad we have a few more days in this state. And I hope to come back again with more time to spend recreating!
.....
late night grammar-relaxed post-note: it's now Friday night. Update on Missoula to come. Played Helena tonight and will again tomorrow. Staying in a very niiiiice hotel this night and the next. Mmmmmm, get to sleep in. thanks for all the responses. and the video. goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Was just engaged in a conversation yesterday in which it was observed and agreed to that everything worthwhile seems to be hard. That just seems to be the way the universe is constructed. When I look back at things that give me really good memories, it semms that I tend to focus on things that were at least somewhat and sometimes horribly difficult or unpleasant at the time they were happening.

    Was going to write something obvious like hang in, you are on the home stretch of this first run. Then I got to thinking you probably had noticed that yourselves.

    ReplyDelete