Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Summary: Grand Junction

Here's a bit to catch myself up: this was written in the RV and I am opting not to edit. Hope it makes some sense!

So... we were already known by quite a few festival attendees, who had seen us either in Denver in February 2003 or at Laramie Peak, WY in summer 2003. So it was nice to not be complete strangers for our first tour stop. But it seemed like most of the audience was loving what they heard, whether they knew us or not. Our first Friday show at a new festival is usually a time when we play it “safe”, not wanting to scare away the audience with our wildest material. So that’s what we planned for this show. Do some good familiar faves and not get too crazy. Well, things were crazy right from the start, because my fiddle strings just didn’t want to stay up to pitch (must have been the altitude), and halfway through our opening fiddle tune, it started sounding baaaaaad… we all had tuning problems, despite a lengthy tuning session right before the set. But in true Wilders style, we laughed it off and so did the crowd.

I had forgotten how incredibly warm and generous the Colorado audiences can be! When I’m in a good mood and really enjoying a show, I tend to spout off the most ridiculous things into the mic in between songs. (those of you who were there: guess you know I was in a good mood and having fun!) That’s the whole point to me, is to be myself and have fun. We did have a fun time overall at the festival and I personally really enjoyed hanging out w/ the Sweet Sunny South band (I’m gonna have to come up with a nickname, that’s too long to type) and my late night buddy from the Denver fest, Nick – did you get your coozie?

Thanks to everyone at the festival – we enjoyed reading the posts from new friends. That makes it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment