Sunday, June 13, 2004

"We are a bluegrass band..."

The phrase, "We are a bluegrass band", has come in handy so often on this trip. When asking for directions to a bank, restaurant or gas station, I'll preface my question with, "Hi, yeah, we are in a bluegrass band and we are down here on tour. I was wondering if you could tell me where....". Almost always, the person I am asking cracks a grin and starts pointing and drawing me maps. People just generally want to help a bluegrass band get to where they are going. If we played heavy metal or hardcore rap, I doubt the response would be so positive. "Hi, yeah we in a death metal band and we are on tour. I was wondering if you could tell me where the nearest pet store is? We need to buy some live snakes and a lab mice for our show tonight". But in our case, the folks look at our aging Winnebago and immediately take pity. This is not to say that we actually ARE a bluegrass band. The truth is, we play very little "real" bluegrass. But explaining the historical developments of country music and our place that continuum tends to muddy up the conversation so I try to avoid it whenever possible. It's all a matter of labeling and brand identity. People see a fiddle and a banjo and they think "bluegrass" and that's ok with me. Rarely does somebody ask you to hand them an adjustable wrench, a can of non-stick cooking spray or a sterile adhesive bandage and I'm sure the folks that make Crescent wrenches, Pam and Band Aids are really happy about that. So, to the folks we encounter, I say, "we are a bluegrass band..." and the doors open.

2 comments:

  1. I suppose I should try that instead of saying, "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

    I bet I'd get better responses, too!

    I've been referring to you guys as an "Old-Time Country Band". I was afraid I'd be wrong saying "Bluegrass". Or that I'd spell it incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are tapping into a reservoir of mutual good will and trust that exists in mainstream middle class people out in flyover country. Those same people harbour an equally deep supply of suspicion and mistrust for anyone that they suspect of being part of the counter-culture or the citified elite. Bluegrass and old time country is part of their music and you are simply identifying yourself as some of the good guys when you use those key words. This is a very deep subject and it will take 6 or 8 hours and a quart of whiskey to adequately explore it. I have studied deeply in this area and if you all bring the whiskey, I will find the
    time.

    ReplyDelete