Monday, April 14, 2008

"Someone's Got to Pay"- Now Available!


Someone's_Got_to_Pay
Originally uploaded by brotherphilwilder.
Tomorrow is April 15th, 2008. If you haven't filed your taxes yet, you'd better get on it!
If you've filed already, and you haven't purchased a copy of our new album, "Someone's Got to Pay" yet, then you'd better get on THAT!


Those that pre-ordered a copy should be getting them in the mail today or tomorrow. But some lucky folks got to buy the first copies at our shows this past week.

One of those people is a great old friend of ours named Hamp Henning. I received an email from Hamp this morning, and he submitted the following review of the new album after his first listen...

(After reading, please re-check my post from January, entitled "Happy 2008"- lots of similarities there...bp)






This is the smartest thing the Wilders have ever done.
This is my first listen, the ‘get the feel of the thing’ review.

First, it’s an ‘album’ not a ‘recording’. This is a big, great difference.
Previous recordings (for the most part) have been you guys playing your songs/tunes. They were good. In your line of work, people come to the shows…love it…and buy a cd. They take it home, and though it’s good, it has no chance of capturing the Wilders live show. It would be impossible.

This thing is a whole new deal. This is an ALBUM. This thing is alive on its own. It’s not an attempt to send a fan home with a piece of the live show. BUT, anybody who loved the show won’t be disappointed with this album. It is all Wilders and has an energy/intensity that you get at the live show…without being a recording of the show…if that makes any sense.

This opens you guys up to all new markets. If this hasn’t been sent to XM Radio station #12…do it now!!! This album will appeal to a much larger audience than previous recordings. You just have to figure out how to get it in front of their ears! ALSO, and I feel this is very important, just as the fan who buys a copy at a show won’t be disappointed, the person who hears this thing before seeing you live will love it when they do get around to seeing a show. This is very good.

Fans of the live show will like the cd ... and fans of the cd will love the live show! What else could you ask for? It's all different, but all Wilders.

You get a little bit of everybody on this thing:

Betse’s hot fiddling and I really like her singing on this one a lot
Phil gives us his ‘Red Headed Stranger’ – awesome. And of course sweet playing and harmonies
Nate is my favorite Honky-Tonk Poet. Period. I love his songs.
Ike is so good. You can feel his charisma and charm on the rockers. But I really like the sad sweetness of some of the songs he wrote.
Dirk and Brendan round the thing out with some amazing instrumental accents and the recording quality is amazing.

…oh yeah, and this is important, the drummer ROCKS! So often when ‘acoustic’ acts add drums to the mix it sounds like crap. Like they’re playing their songs and … oooh ….. this’ll be fun ….let’s add a drum!!! It always ends up weak and out of place. Not here. These drums aren’t an add-on. They’re part of the deal…part of the Wilders. Well-done! When you said there were drums I was very scared. After listening, I love it. The drums allow you to keep the intensity without getting too busy and cluttered. They allow for some dynamics that are hard to deliver in a drumless world. The drums help to make this an album that can be listened to over and over.

Overall, after one quick listen, I’m inspired. Don’t get me wrong, I love the old Wilders, but you guys have so much more to offer. This album gives your fans a glimpse at some of that. I think they’ll be happy. I am."



thanks Hamp!
The Wilders, "Someone's Got to Pay" is available at www.wilderscountry.com

brotherphil

32 comments:

  1. Our "Someone's Got to Pay" was waiting in the mailbox when we got home from work this evening, and it got played immediately, all the way through. Fabulous! The sound is just wonderful! The progression of songs and the diversity create such a great listening experience. Ike's voice never sounded better. Loved all the interesting instrumentation. You've outdone yourselves with this one, Wilders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. vieta said

    Well, I went to the Mill in Iowa City, long drive but I'm certainly happy i went. They had a good turn out for a week nigh and the band put on a spirited show, did some of the song from the new CD. Old Nora, Happy that Way and Little Darlin. It was a lovin crowd!

    7 of Gary's Iowa relatives and friends of relatives were there which made it pretty special for Ike and I. We got to do a lot of visiting and eating together........After the show the band and myself took off for the ole big 6. Hit a few snags there, and brophil wrote his short review in his Big 6 book. I tried to imagine what it would be like to go on to the next show and definitely knew it would kill me, but there they were chatting about the upcoming show and ready to go. Well, Gods speed to you dear Wilders, take care of yourselves and be safe. Thank you for all your kindness to me.

    Oh Nate and Ike played guitars and did a duet. I can't remember the song, it was ballad sounding. GOOD!

    I was absolutely bushed. Next morning we had breakfast and each started on their way. The band to WI and myself to MO.

    vieta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post V! How about them songs that Ike wrote. Hootie Hoot! Love them fiddlin tunes, the jury thing and that final plea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More reviews of the Wilders:

    http://www.americanaroots.com/
    reviews/detail/the_wilders_someones
    _got_to_pay

    http://media.www.pittnews.com/media/
    storage/paper879/news/2008/04/10/
    ArtsEntertainment/Efforts.On.
    TrialInspired.Album.Pay.Off-3314861.shtml


    http://media.www.dailytarheel.com/
    media/storage/paper885/news/2008/
    04/10/Diversions/Music.Shorts-3314203.shtml

    Sweetpea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been listening to this CD quite extensively, and I rate it right up there with "Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" This CD has a different feel however, I don't feel the need to commute with mother nature and feel groovy. Some of this CD has that hard drinkin dim lights loud band honky tonk feel to it though. This is my unsolicited opinion and is unimportant, unwarranted, but hopefully highly accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hard to post..........I got a Google/blogger password, will it work???????????

    seems to.

    vieta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now Wilders and groopers, I just did a Google on -

    Someone's got to Pay, The Wilders

    There are pages and pages of great reviews. Only one bad comment and that was, "It's too long", but they loved it ??????.

    One said, not the exact quote but the gist of it was The Wilders got off the porch with their "Someone's got to Pay" and they're runnin with the big dogs.

    Congratulations Wilders

    vieta

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT CD. I remember this terrible murder. The very day I first listen to the disc I receive a jury summons from Jackson County, Missouri for May 13. I've been a nervous wreck ever since. Please Mr. Judge . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wilders I caught your hour on the "Blue Plate Special" this morning. You sounded great, you should have a big crowd at the Preservation Pub, sounded like you had a big audience at the radio station. Your new songs sounded so good but they are gonna be happy when they play the CD!

    I'm looking forward to hearing you on radio WXRT in Chicago tonight at 10. Try to get some rest along the way.

    Guys look at their schedule page, there is a link.

    Good luck and take care, be safe Wilders and all the rest.

    vieta

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey........TEST TEST

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Vieta....it worked!!!

    "Thanks" for the tips."

    "We will listening tonight at 10..Wilder's."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you having trouble posting??????

    Betty and I did it this way.

    do anonymous.

    If you preview it, you can't publish it from there.

    Hit edit and go back to your message then hit "Publish your Comment"

    If you are having trouble posting, this may help.

    Good luck Pete, you may have to write a song, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just thought I'd try the new posting method. Hope everyone's been reading all the great reviews of "Someone's Got to Pay."

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to let everyone know we are safe--the tornadoes last night were too close for comfort, but we only got high winds. We're caring for some pets that got blown away from their destroyed homes. Hope all you other bloggers are O.K. Did it come close to you, Vieta?

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here is a very interesting review. I would have never connected it like that. Did any of you?

    http://folkmusic.about.com/od/cdreviews/fr/WildersGottaPay.htm

    By Kim Ruehl

    Not sure the link will work.........

    vieta

    ReplyDelete
  16. The link will take you to a page, go about half way douw, You will see The Wilder Someone's got to Pay............ thats it.

    vieta

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm back. I had the computer hard drive melt down right before my eyes about 3 weeks ago. Been sick, after not being sick for years. Lots of fun stuff not happening. I will write more later.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back, LVJ--we missed you!

    Can't wait to hear from The Wilders about the Alaska venue. That "Pelican Boardwalk Boogie" sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to hear the interesting stories about Alaska. The stuff that Phil wrote last year was simply marvelous. Well, when the hard drive melted down, I lost everything. Like an idiot, I kept saying that I would back up everything someday. Idiot is as idiot didn't do. I lost all the downloads, links, hundreds of pictures, email addresses, everthing. Connie cried. As a manly idiot, I tried to laugh it off, but it is strange and sad getting on an empty computer and wondering how it all disappeared. Email is working, but I can't get the address book to cooperate. I can't find the sofware to the printer. I tried drinking more, but she (the old hard drive) didn't come back. I got the old burned up @#$%& sitting here in front of me, loaded with Wilders music and pictures, some of the pictures are probably not replaceable. Oh well, life goes on, now how do you get to "Out on the Farm?"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Deepest sympathy on the demise of your drive. Farm blog is www.ticksense.blogspot.com. What is your email? I tried to send to you and got it back. Apologies to the Wilders for hijacking their blog for personal use. So sue me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are the Wilders playing the Walnut Valley Festival this year? I don't see them on the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Unfortunately, no. Maybe it will be nice for them to have a break from this festival. Anyway, I'm trying to talk them into coming, just to play Stage Five and in the campgrounds! How about it, Wilders?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just say yes to Winfield

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey gang,
    Just got back from Alaska. Not sure what to write yet, but I'll work on something. As far as Winfield goes, we were not asked back this year. Its perfectly normal for a festival to change up their lineup, but I guess we thought it was going to last forever. We've got no hard feelings, but still, we are disappointed.

    And as much as we would like to be there to play Stage 5, financially we have to work that weekend. We were offered (and accepted) a gig in Belfast, Ireland.
    sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I´m sorry for you Wilders. That´s not really nice. -- I have only a little tiny solace:
    This year I was on a concert from a bluegrass band (someone told me that their are famous). --- Yes, the musicians was really good ... After the concert I went to one of the musicians, because he asked during the concert, if someone knows an other bluegrass band than them.
    I said to him: I know the Wilders ............ He said: The Wilders are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Phil, glad to hear you made it back. I bet it was hotter than hell up there with all this global warming. I still haven't pulled the new CD out of the player. I have been told that going thru life obsesive, onery and obeese is dangerous.

    LVJ

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey, Wilders! I wouldn't be TOO upset about "having" to go back to Ireland! I've never been there, but it's a place I've always wanted to go. You'll have a ball!

    Winfield's loss will be Ireland's gain. You will be really, really missed.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It seems to be a little slow on here. I don't have any good stories to tell. I might have a few bad ones. Can't tell em here. The Wilders are knocking em dead, they play in Olathe here pretty soon, who all is a going?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Norm and I are hoping to go to Olathe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What in the hell is a going on out there in Wilders land? Olathe will be fun, they have an outstaning sound system down there in the park. What ya'll say, did you have fun today?

    ReplyDelete
  31. We're not going to be able to make it to Olathe this year, but Vieta and I hope to go over together to Skiatook the next day! I have to work that morning, but we'll try to catch both their afternoon and evening shows. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete