Thursday, November 18, 2004

one thing... leads to another

Vieta, thanks for the Prison Pete link. Folks, here it is.

So I started to read it but very quickly got curious about "Pete's Blogroll" and it's what it sounds like, a listing of blogs picked by Pete. I don't even remember which one got me to this site, Similar Minds, but it was a pretty cool find. All kinds of personality tests and a few just for fun.

For example, I started with the "What Classic Movie Are You?" And it turns out I am "Hollywood Boulevard". I haven't seen it but guess I will now! And the results of my "Famous Leader" test turned out with me being Che Guevara. Oh my! I didn't even know much about Che but found a little site and turns out he was instrumental in Castro's guerilla campaign in Cuba. Well, I don't know what that says about me, except that I am perhaps a secret revolutionary. Not that I'm planning to pick up weapons of war or anything! It was pretty fun. And all from a random choice. Hooray for random! If you take some of the tests, that will make even more sense.

The other moral of this story is that I am spending too much time online. I am still able to surf via my unknown neighbor's cable connection, using my wireless dealy on this Mac. I tend to get caught up online for a few hours each night. I am avoiding some things, though getting the most important stuff done.

But right now, for example -- I need to figure out what to wear (indeed) for the show in Winfield tomorrow night. (Ah, finally Wilders content!) We are potentially going to be on camera during this show. A National Media Group (that's all I'm allowed to say for now) will be filming the O'Brien Family Band, who invited us to come play the show with them. Nate will be playing bass with them, so he's definitely getting camera time! We have known the O'Brien's for many years now. I think the year we actually met them was at the Winfield fest ca. 1996? I think it was the first year Ike came down with me & Phil. Dan (the dad) was playing guitar outside his camper on Sunday morning and his little girl, Maura, who was about 3, was dreamily running and dancing in circles in front of him. It was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. And besides being sweet to watch, they turned out to be one of the nicest families ever. So, anyway, tomorrow we'll see them for this show and oh how I dislike being on camera. I've never been comfortable being photographed, even. Hmm, guess I'd better start getting used to it, if our road to success is as paved as we hope!

I guess the real moral of this story here is that I have some things to consider when it comes to being comfortable with myself. Isn't it ironic -- I am most of the time quite confident and happy onstage, and actually enjoy performing so much, and yet I feel a little trapped in the physical body and personal limitations that I have to live with... well, there's no better place to let it out lately than here... it feels like a private journal when I'm writing, though I know it's not. It does seem more like a family place right now, though, with comments limited to a few dedicated, loving, sweet souls such as yourselves. That translates to a thank you to you sweet souls. And to all a good night.

Winfield 2004-4

8 comments:

  1. Oh my. The Prison Pete blog is very interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Vieta, I haven't followed the Prison Pete site. I was way interested upon first visit. But then I didn't follow up. I've been way busy with my job, so I haven't had much time for recreational surfing.

    Good day, everyone. Have a great weekend, whatever that might entail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Years, ya'll!! And if any of you Wilders are anywhere near St. Louis on New Years Eve, stop on by....Carl and I are hosting a party at our house! But you're probably playing a show somewhere.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where to put this, so here it is... and if you'll forgive the Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference, I feel like Buffy trying to get in touch with the secret government agency that chases after monsters...

    I'm needing to get ahold of a Wilder, prefereably one that can tell me about unscheduled gigs in the KC area (gigs that don't make the big schedule page on your site). When I saw you guys on Halloween, Ike talked about some gig you guys do (or did) on Monday evenings. I'm needing something like that.

    A college friend (of mine and Ike's) is neighbors with some NPR producer or something. This neighbor is friends with some coordinator of some festival somewhere (yeah, I know, I need to vague that up some). Anyway, this coordinator lives in the KC area (but the festival is so NOT in the KC area) and would like to hear The Wilders perform (and perhaps invite them to this big festival (that if I knew the name of you might be more impressed with). So the college friend would like me to call her and say when this friend of her friend (enough friends yet?) could come see y'all.

    Confused yet? It gets worse. Please click my name and follow the links to my website to my e-mail address, cuz I ain't about to post it here. Either e-mail me the info or the phone number of someone who will know and will return my call...

    Oh, and my favorite album was On the Wings of a Dove, and my favorite song was Brighten the Corner (I would put it on repeat in my car and sing and smile and enjoy life for hours), but then the Christians all pissed me off, so I haven't listened to it since. So I'll say now I'm sticking with Spring a Leak and Settin' the Woods on Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, lyric police checking in here.

    Oh the moon grows pale as I sit here
    Each little star seems to whisper and say
    Your sweetheart has found another
    And now she's far, far away

    To further quote William Smith M., "Play it like it was wrote, boys."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Further info. for you city folks who never see the night sky. When the moon first appears in the east, it tends to have an orange glow due to the fact that the inbound light passes through a lot of atmosphere. When seen directly overhead through less of the atmosphere, it appears almost white in color. The lyric as written implies that the writer has spend a long evening outside staring at the sky, possibly 'cause his sweetie has kicked his butt out and locked the door behind him or something.

    And finally, the moon never looks as "pale in the city" as it does out here in the real world due to more air pollution there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, one more thing, no more I promise. I can do this, 'cause I haven't posted in weeks and I'm sitting at home recovering from 1700 miles of travel this week while everybody else gets hammered on New Year's Eve.

    Me to wife, sitting on front porch watching sun set and stars come out: "This is really neat. Those stars remind me of your teeth."

    Wife to me, looking gooey-eyed: "That's a sweet thing to say, you mean the way they sparkle and shine?"

    Me to wife, 3,412'th bad mistake and counting: "More like how they come out at night."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, for heaven's sake, 48 COMMENTS! Obviously we need to do some new posts so you guys don't have to scroll down so far to read recent comments!
    And here's the poop on Ike and I changing the words to "Sitting alone in the moonlight". It was an accident. The live Bill Monroe cassette that we learned it from sounded like he was singing "white" instead of "pale". We sang it that way for over a year before Tickmeister pointed out our error. We were embarrassed and tried to change it back to "pale" but either he or I kept forgetting and it sounded terrible when I sang "white" and he sang "pale". So we decided to keep it "white" because it just sounded better to us. Sorry Bill, but you're dead and I doubt that you are spinning in your grave just because of us. You've got a whole lot more on your mind I'd imagine considering the sorry state of cookie-cutter "bluegrass"-lite that's been churning out of Nashville for the past decade...

    ReplyDelete