Monday, March 02, 2009

Fleeting Friends of the Road: A Tribute to Walker Wilder


Sometimes the miles we travel bore us into silliness of epic proportions. We were somewhere in the Scottish highlands, sleepy but restless, when I looked at the pile of blankets, kindly loaned to us by our booking agent, Loudon's wife. To make space in the overloaded van, Ike had hung the blankets from a headrest facing us. In our haze, the pile sort of looked like a friendly frog staring back at us. I took Ike's hat and set it atop the blankets. Ike took off his sunglasses and then the stage was set. We worked for a few more minutes, Ike adding a stray guitar string for a mouth, me wrapping Ike's jacket around his backpack for the body, then Ike's gloves became his hands. Then, as a final detail, a pack of Walkers potato crisps gave our new friend his namesake, "Walker", good old Walker Wilder.

Oh Walker, how we miss you. You were our quiet friend for a few days. We grew to love you, then you were gone. Your crisps were eaten right from your hand, your body was removed due to pressing need for the warmth and clean clothes they contained. God speed you dear Walker, in your celestial travels...

6 comments:

  1. Good old Walker Wilder..a right nice looking fellow gone but not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you are all back safe and sound. I would have liked to have met Walker. He reminded me of Wilson in that movie, Tom Hanks on the island stranded, talking to Wilson. I nearly cried when Wilson drifted away at sea. Did Walker have a proper burial?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, just like a great many of my post-modern friends, he just got deconstructed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, the new look is good. On your last post it says at the bottom "I voted for change". Makes me wonder what you are implying here. I think that there should be some kind of a welcome back party. Not here, Connie, Jake, Little John, me and everybody around has been sick off and on form a couple of months. OK, scratch the party, and party on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing implied by my comment. It was the truth. I did vote for change, and I'm watching some long overdue changes happening right before my very weary eyes. And, as a result, you are now getting some changes from me (in the form of a new blog design to look at). Change is good. I like change. It keeps things interesting. Change something of your own. You might like it.

    Now, before y'all (especially YOU LVJ!) jump in and start jabbering up a bunch of politics, DON'T. Not on this blog. Please & Thank You friends...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No politics here. I just want to say that I think it's nice to have a silent friend who just sits and eats crisps, don't you? Long may Walter Wilder live in your memories!

    ReplyDelete