Thursday, November 01, 2007

Angels Still Exist!

Back in the summer of 2004, not long after we launched this blog, I wrote several posts regarding the kindness paid to us by strangers on the road. We dubbed these folks "angels", for their unbelievable willingness to help us fix our broken vehicles, stay in their homes, loan us their cars, feed us wonderful home-cooked meals, etc. Most of these people provided these services with little or no compensation, and many times, did so after knowing us for only a few hours. As I unwind after returning from our second-to-last tour of the 2007, I feel compelled to again recognize the continuing appearance of these angels. They are still very much alive and well. In fact, we meet them in some shape or form almost every time we go on tour. Here are a few short tributes...

To the rider's club crew in Ulm, Germany- who not only welcomed us, but two weeks worth of our stinking, dirty laundry into their home. We made a great afternoon of it, eating doner kabobs, checking our email on your computer, listening to your cd's, and running your heavy-duty-american-made washer and dryer in tandem until each and every sock, shirt and skirt were neatly folded and repacked into our suitcases. Sure we were a little late arriving to our gig that night, but we felt and smelled SO much better...

To our "North of 60" pal George (see "Alaska Part Three" June 2006)- who, without any communication from us whatsoever, was waiting patiently with his wife outside the Whitehorse, Yukon bus depot when Betse and I lumbered off, after a grueling day of travel. You grabbed up our bags and cases, loaded them into the trunk of your car, then took us out to a wonderful dinner, gave us a car-tour of your town and, finally, shuttled us to our motel... Earlier that day, I remember saying to Betse as we neared Whitehorse in the bus, "I have a fantasy." "What is it," she asked. "I have a fantasy that when we get to the bus stop, George will be there waiting for us." She responded, "Yeah, that WOULD be great." Well, it wasn't a fantasy was it? Thank you George. Your generosity will not be forgotten...

To the two Wisconsin farm hands who saved our necks at Larryfest- For two days, the swollen storm clouds had dumped a flood of biblical proportions on the festival grounds- turning our only exit into something resembling the Grand Canyon. Just when we thought we would be trapped there for days, the rain let up. For the next hour, you worked feverishly with tractor, shovels and elbow grease to create a thin, mushy and very temporary bridge that stood for only a few minutes. You guided us across, pulling, then pushing the van after it got stuck (almost tipping over the tractor in the process). And then once we were on the other side, you shook our hands, bid us farewell, and then went back to work straight away. Later that day, we learned that the skies had opened up again, washing the road away beyond any possible repair. You were there at the right time in the right place. Without your efforts, we would NOT have made it home in time to catch our flight to Scotland.
And I never even got your names...

Finally, to our most recent angels Red, Nita and M.D. in Knoxville, Tennessee- You got off from a grueling day of work, drove through a pounding thunderstorm (the first rain storm in months) to free us from our boring Motel 6 prison. You took us back to your house, let us dig with abandon from the Pabst Blue Ribbon box in your fridge, played us great music and engaged us in the first lively conversations we'd had in days. And to top it off, you made us home-made chicken soup and grilled cheese sandwiches to refill our empty souls. Sometimes it's the little things that make such a difference. We didn't ask you to do it. But we were so glad that you did...

There are so many more stories. These are just the ones that come immediately to mind. It's just such a weird thing. I mean, we don't really do that much to warrant such generosity. We stand up on stage, and make our music, and enjoy the hell out of it all the while. People seem to like what we do, and honestly, that's enough for us- In fact, it makes us feel great. But there must be something special, something I have no way of defining, that sometimes occurs during this interchange between band and audience. And I believe that this indefinable thing must lie near the heart of this unique angel phenomena. Regardless of the reason, I know that each of us appreciates our angels whenever they come around.

Thank you again. Thank you for everything.

51 comments:

  1. Very entertaining Phil, I guess that bloggers are the devil incarnates. Especially Peggy. Well, not Vieta or Betty. Too closely related. Me, I'm a devilish gargoyle, you can tell me by the way I sit and stare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous post BroPhil "may angels continue watching over the Wilder's."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dear Wilders! If humans are risk to be itself and to be open in a kindly wise like you all, then such miracles happen.
    Bisou, bisou!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jutta--The Wilders, by being "open and kindly," attract all good things from other people. Your goodness just shines through in not only your performances, but your approachability and interaction with your fans. Don't think you'll ever lose that, no matter how "big" you get!

    Yes, there seem to be angels following you, but there's an earthly reason they're there, too.

    (What do you mean "especially Peggy?!?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It means that you are either an angel or something. Possibly a conversation starter. I'll be sitting and staring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O.K., since it's a commonly accepted fact that I'm not an angel, I'll ask a question--what does everyone else think about the "angel" phenomenon?

    I just watched a film about the Dalai Lama, and he said he has great respect for all the world religions, the reason being that they all strive to make people better and make them focus on spiritual things. Music is like a religion to me--I think you can't listen to The Wilders without coming away a better person.

    (LVJ, maybe it is better for you to just sit there like a gargoyle for awhile... "especially Peggy," indeed!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are absolutely correct, my apologies and bisous whatever

    ReplyDelete
  8. I graciously accept your roast bison and kraut. You can move now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only would like to say:
    Hey Peggy, hey LVJ, bisous for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And the same back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jutta

    ca me frappe tout a fait bisous?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, everyone! Come on over to tickmeister's blog--we're cooking green tomato pies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LVJ,
    you know, I can´t speak French – only "merci" or "bisou" or "à bientôt" ... So please don´t write in french with me (o.k., sorry, I wrote it at first)
    In my opinion "bisou" is a very kind word, because it isn´t complicate and it´s a lovely gesture.
    Regarding your question it wasn´t possible for me to translate it with the dictionary. So I called a friend (she lived for 1 year in France). She couldn´t translate your question in the right form – so we can only guess what you meant – but in reality we don´t know. Also she said that "bisous" means the same like "hugs and kisses", but hugs and kisses are more formal (so she said). ---- BUT today I found the right word for "bisou" in American (I think): "bisou" = peck = kiss (familial)
    So with peck, peck from me to you

    ReplyDelete
  15. The translation is "does Ca strike me completely kisses?" I think that it means "I throw kisses at you." Or something. The French seem to beat around the bush, Americans run over the bush. Se na pa fini?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes LVJ, know I understand. And again you explained it in a nice way. Thanks therefore. So se na pa fini!
    Till then with peck, peck and best wishes for you and the other loveley rest from the gang.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Guys here is a great place. pandora.com

    type in The Wilders....You will have to register but it is easy and free. Then create new station of other singers or bands.

    Now peck, peck and another peck to each and everyone of you! I'm catching up.

    Ike called today and told me about this pandora thingie..Thanks Ike, it is super.
    v

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, and let me add a big thanks to all you road Angels that look out for our Wilders. We will probably never meet you but.. if you need us we are here, you are dear to us. Peck peck Angels.

    Jutta and LV you two are better than kraut and tomato pie.

    v

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vieta, thanks a lot for the whole informations about pandora, also thanks to Ike. When I will have more time, I will look for.

    It´s so lovely that you give your pecks to the Angels.

    Angels know that you all give your thanks with true heart – with this you send automatic good energy to the angels, also without writing or saying. BUT the good engergy you add with your writing, also with your pecks.

    Hey dear Vieta, I know kraut and tomato pie can be very tasty, so you give us a big compliment.

    So know I will going on with my work, accompanied with the music from our Wilders.
    Hugs to you all with peck, peck

    ReplyDelete
  20. ....not "So know ...", I would like to write "So now I will going .... with my ..."
    smile to you

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome back, Vieta!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Peggy! Glad to see you all.

    (VBG) Very Big Grin .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello to everyone. I'm catching up again. It's been a while. Days move past too quickly! I love reading positive stories. Great post Phil. I thank the angels who have been there for us too.
    We Skonnies are looking forward to Dec. 1st when the Wilders will be back in our area again! (Hopefully this time we will have a calm weather forcast!) WE are taking my parents to the concert for their Christmas present. I have purchased the Wilder CD's for them and they are so anxious to finally see them!
    Safe travel to Wisconsin Wilders! We are so excited to have you back again!
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    ddmac
    (I'm still using annymous, even my son couldn't get me back on as a named blogger???)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome back, ddmac! I think you can just check "other" and then put "ddmac" in as your "username." Just leave the "web page" blank. See if that works. Your name won't be in blue, but it will still show up... I think...

    What a great Christmas present for your folks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. "HAPPY THANKSGIVING" everyone

    "FROHE FEIERTAGE" Is this nearly correct Jutta and Christina??

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you even celebrate Thanksgiving in Germany? Think it's an American holiday--but what the heck, who would want to pass up the chance to pig out on delicious turkey, stuffing, yams, and pumpkin pie?!?! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

    Aren't we thankful for The Wilders!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well of course I know Thanksgiving is an American holiday.

    What I was asking Jutta and Christina was the German translation for "Happy Holidays."

    ReplyDelete
  28. OH. Silly me... ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  29. "You're only given a little spark of madness.
    You mustn't lose it."
    R.Williams


    Well yes indeed, lets all hang on to our silliness, we do it so well don't ya think?
    ddmac welcome back, you've been sorely missed.

    FROHE FEIERTAGE and Happy Thanksgiving to Wilders and everybody!!

    May angels watch over our troops and see them safely home to their families.

    v

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi everyone, I'm back! I had so much to do in the past weeks... sorry!
    Hey Betty. Yes, "frohe Feiertage" is the correct translation and we also do celebrate it. I know that it is a little bit too late but... happy thanksgiving back to you all! *smile*
    Have a nice sunday. Lots of greetings,
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  31. No, you're right on time, Christina--we were just early. Thank you!

    Thanksgiving is celebrated over a period of days, usually. The actual holiday falls on the 22nd this year.

    There's always so much to be thankful for, it can't be contained in only one day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sich auf meinen Weihnachten-Früchtekuchen freuend

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Betty. You're right, there's so much to be thankful.
    Your German is great! I'm also looking forward to my Christmas biscuits and cake.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Christina I used an English to German translater...
    and what I was trying to say was that I am looking forward to my Christmas fruitcake...
    Christmas biscuits and cake is close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, hi to Christina. I wanted to thank you so much for the tomato jam recipe you gave to me. When I tried to thank you this summer, it wouldn't appear on the blog. Better late than never I guess.
    I saw a sign today in a store that said, "There is always always always something to be thankful for."
    I think I'm going to get myself and English to German dictionary too. I really do not speak any German with the exception of a few slang words, (why do we always remember those!). I shouldn't lose my heritage language.
    We are thankful for the Wilders and new friends we have met through following them.
    Happy Holidays!
    DDMAC

    ReplyDelete
  36. I hope that everyone is having a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jeepers Wally, is everybody so full they can't type?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Good luck and be safe Wilder's as you head out to Wisconsin and Illinois soon.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Home again, home again... Five pounds heavier, probably, but happy to have had a few days to commune with the whole family in Indiana!

    Traffic was heavy on the way home last night, but it didn't slow us down too much. It's gloomy and cold today, and I plan to keep the woodstove stoked.

    Hope everyone had a wonderful Thsnksgiving!

    Godspeed to The Wilders!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Did I say "Thsnksgiving"??? I meant "Happy THANKSgiving."

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hey DDMAC, that's no problem. Did you test it out? I hope it worked!
    Well, I think that I'm out of training to write in English...
    Have a nice week everybody.
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It was delicious Christina!
    Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I'm still full and it's 5 days later!
    3 1/2 days to the Wilders Concert!
    Take care Wilders and bloggers,
    ddmac

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm eating my heart out! Have a wonderful time at the concert, ddmac and all. Please hug The Wilders for me!

    ReplyDelete
  44. After reading the comments everyday for over 3 years, I thought I would say "hi". DD and I are looking forward to the Wilders on Saturday. String Ties are local and friends of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hey, Bob and DD! We'll look forward to hearing reviews of your Wilders encounters this weekend!

    Travel safely.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Bob and DD, give us a weather update. Looks like the Wilders are heading into bad stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete