Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Burning Up the West with Martha...


Marthacollage
Originally uploaded by brotherphilwilder.
I guess we first heard about the recording session in the spring of 2005. We had just arrived in Louisiana and were setting up in Dirk Powell's studio to record what would become our "Throw Down" cd. Dirk had just returned from Levon Helm's studio in Woodstock, NY- where he had recorded the basic tracks for Martha Scanlan's debut cd, and he was psyched. I have to say, I was a little jealous to hear him say that, not only was Martha branching out from the safety of old time instrumentation (using pedal steel guitar and other electric gadgets), but she actually got Levon Helm to play drums on several tunes. Levon, for the uninitiated, was a major creative force-and the drummer for The Band. We listened intently as Dirk described the experience, and I could only imagine the sounds he must had heard...

August, 2006: We were kicking back with some Vietnamese food and a few beers at our booking agent, Mary Brabec's house in Seattle, Washington. I was snooping around a stack of cd's on her desk and came across one with the words, "Martha Scanlan- New CD", scrawled on it in black Sharpie. I freaked and got confirmation from Mary that this indeed was a rough mix of the Woodstock sessions. I stuck it in her computer and started it up, I tried to focus, but It was a beautiful day in Seattle and everyone was sitting outside talking. It was hard to appreciate what I was hearing over the conversation. One thing was for sure, it was a ROUGH mix. The songs didn't seem to be in any order and the volume of each song was wildly inconsistent. The next morning, (as usual) I was up before anybody and, without really thinking about it, I made a copy of the cd (along with copies of Mary's entire Reggae collection) and stuck it in my backpack.

October 2006: I was hanging out with Betse at the International Bluegrass Music Association conference in Nashville, TN. We had just eaten lunch, and she asked me if I wanted to go watch Martha Scanlan's showcase on the Roots and Branches stage. Martha was already on when we arrived. We slipped in and found seats near the back. Almost immediately, I was transfixed by the sound coming from the stage. Martha stood center, flanked by Travis Stuart on string bass and Trevor Stuart on fiddle. The sound of this simple instrumentation, combined with Martha's idiosyncratic voice ( I mean that in the best possible way...) was mesmerizing. The smallish crowd, most of whom were familiar with Martha from her days as guitarist with The Reeltime Travelers, were quiet and respectful, drinking in the sound, but Betse and I were excited and whooped it up in the back at the end each tune.

At once point, Martha sheepishly told the audience that her new record was, "almost done"...
"Right ON!" I yelled.
Then she told them hesitantly, " And it's going to be kinda different for some of you"...
"WHOOOHOOO!", I whooped from the back.
"It's going to have some drums on it"...
"ALLRIIIIIIIGHHHHHT!", I belted.
Several people looked back at me and scowled.
"But we got Levon Helm to play the drums, so that's ok, right?"
"HEEEEELLLLLLL YEAH!", I shrieked.

On the way home from IBMA, I dug through my backpack and grabbed the copy of Martha's new cd I had secretly burned in Seattle. Everyone was completely shagged from the conference, so this time there was no conversation to distract me. Although the mixes were rough, the purity of the sound came through loud and clear. I don't think a word was said, but when it was over, we all agreed that this was the sort of album WE would like to make someday.

November, 2006: We were back at Dirk's, recording our new cd. The long, long sessions stretched into the early morning hours. When we returned to the house where we were staying, I was always too keyed-up to go right to sleep. So I listened to Martha's cd on my iPod for inspiration before collapsing into unconsciousness.

January 12th, 2007: It was my birthday. I don't generally like my birthday much, and this year was no exception. Basically, it makes me uncomfortable for people to treat me different just because it's my birthday. However, this year, I was bummed out because no one treated me any different than they ever do. Yes folks, I am a gigantic 41-year-old baby! Anyway, I was hanging out backstage at The Grey Eagle in Asheville, NC feeling sorry for myself, when Martha Scanlan walked through the door. I guess I knew she lived fairly close to Asheville, but still I was shocked to see her in person. Without my usual conversational restraint, I began to babble and gush to her about how much her record had impacted me. Later in the evening, I saw her again and told her that if she ever needed somebody to play dobro, she could give me a call. I gave her my email and I felt good about the the interchange, but doubted (with The Wilders intense schedule) that it would ever actually happen.

February, 2007: I got an email from Martha asking me if I might be interested in playing some dates in Colorado in April. She told me that Travis and Trevor Stuart would be in England teaching old time music classes, and she was scrambling to get a band together for the tour. I was flabbergasted. I searched our schedule and realized that at least four of the shows were possible. Then I really started to think about it. I imagined the sounds that I had grown to love on Martha's cd coming to life. I imagined myself playing dobro on some of her tunes. I imagine myself playing steel guitar and electric guitar on others. Then I began to imagine other things. I imagined Nate playing electric bass and Betse covering Dirk Powell's fiddle parts. But the final piece was drums. Of course, we know a lot of really great drummers. But still, I was bummed that Ike would be left out. Then I tried to imagine Ike sitting behind a set of drums. It wasn't so far-fetched. I'd seen him fool around on a kit before, and he wasn't half bad. So I called everybody up, and asked them if they would be interested in becoming Martha's band. Not surprisingly, everyone (including Ike) was thrilled at the prospect. Then I wrote Martha back to offer her not one musician, but four. I'm sure she was shocked at my proposal, but she agreed to give it a try anyway.

Monday, April 9th: Ike and I picked Martha up from the Kansas City airport and immediately got her in the KC spirit by forcing her to eat Arthur Bryant's Bar-B-Que and share a pitcher of Budwieser. As she finished half of her mountainous sandwich, she said, "wow, the streets of Kansas City are paved with MEAT." Then we checked her into a Best Western on the Boulevard, and went off to ready things for the tour. We had invited her to play as our special guest at the Rural Grit Happy Hour that night, and there was a larger-than-normal crowd assembled to greet her there. Although we had never played with her before, the four of us decided to "wing it" with Martha on about 6 tunes. Don Carrick, legendary Rural Grit drummer yelled out to Ike at one point, "you are doing great, you just need to RELAX!" It was somewhat of a train wreck, but there was a strong scent of something musically wonderful floating around the bar by the time we had finished.

The next morning we all met at an honest-to-goodness, real-deal practice space located above the all-ages punk rock club, El Torreon, in midtown KC. I had acquired access to this jewel-in-the-rough, through the generosity and diligence of our pal David Regnier who hooked us up with The Pink Socks (the band that rents the space). We lugged all our gear up the stairs and started plugging stuff in, while Martha made notes on a legal pad. After plugging in mics and making some adjustments, we tentatively began a practice session, which begat a song swap/jam session that stretched late into the night. The next day, we scrambled to get all our stuff together, packed up the trailer, stopped by The Pink Socks practice space to leave a case of PBR for our rent, and hit the city limits by 7pm. After only an hour of driving, I was burnt out. I stopped for gas, and when I returned, Martha had plopped herself in the driver's seat. Obviously quite comfortable with the strange ways of the road, she drove our Brown Clown halfway across Kansas stopping for the night around 1am at our favorite Motel 6 in Colby.

We were up-and-at 'em the next morning, passing into Colorado for our first hump over the Rockies this year. Our van handled the high mountain passes like a champ, and within a few hours, we arrived in Carbondale, CO at Steve's Guitars- the site of our first gig. Steve was there to greet us, and helped to load in our gear, move amps, drums and mic stands around in an effort to squeeze our huge band onto the tiny stage. We got everything plugged up and used the sound check to rehearse the material one last time. Our band pals from Paonia, CO, Sweet Sunny South, arrived during the rehearsal and gave us some much-needed feedback on our relative volumes and sound. It didn't seem like any time passed before the tiny music store was packed for the sold out show. In Kansas City, the fire marshall would have shut it down immediately, but in Carbondale, it appears things are a little more relaxed. We took the stage around 9:30am and, as Martha strummed the first chord, I said a silent prayer, "please, please don't let us screw up..."

My prayers must have been answered, because the audience was electrified. During the next two hours, we played most of the songs off Martha's album. Betse, of course, played her fiddle, but also got to add her tenor guitar and a harmony vocal to the mix on several tunes. Nate mostly hung in the back making sure Ike was staying on the beat. To save space in the van, he had decided back in Kansas City to only play his electric bass on this tour. He sounded great- especially when he stepped up to sing harmony with Martha even taking a lead verse on the song "Hallelujah". To change it up, Ike and Martha swapped positions on the drums so that he could lead our band on a few honky tonk numbers. In addition to being a great songwriter and singer, Martha Scanlan is a very fine old time guitar player, and I could tell she really enjoyed herself, when she got to bear down on some of Betse's fiddle tunes. I sat over in my corner truly fulfilling the "jack of all trades" role. I played electric guitar, electric lap steel guitar, dobro, clawhammer banjo and mandolin. On the outside (due to my concentration level), my face must have appeared to be made of stone. But on the inside I was grinning ear-to-ear. To quote Wilders mentor Dale Frazier, "it was a pretty good deal, I guess..." The evening seemed over almost before it started. I talked to several people after the show and everyone was pretty much blown away by the sound.

It took a long time to get all the equipment packed back into the van and trailer, and it was soon after midnight when we set out on a two-hour drive over McClure pass to Paonia, CO. Our Sweet Sunny South pals agreed to not only let us stay in their homes that night, but also to wait for us slowpokes and lead us over the mountains. I realized how tired I was when we started winding up the pass. I was sure glad I had their tail lights to follow. We arrived safely and everyone collapsed for the short night. The next morning we hauled a stripped-down version of all our junk into the studios of KVNF in downtown Paonia. Our pal, Rob Miller was hosting the "Talking Music" program there, and we were able to do about 4 of Martha's tunes, a couple of Wilders originals, and a fiddle tune during the show. Then, after wolfing down some very fine burgers at Sweet Sunny South HQ (thanks Bill and Shel!), we high-tailed it up the road to Montrose, CO to load in at La Cabana. Yes, our gig this evening was to be at the downtown Montrose Italian/Mexican Restaurant. I LOVE the west because of weird combinations like this. Say you don't have a population in your town that can support an italian restaurant AND a Mexican Restaurant? No problem, COMBINE THE CUISINE. We all had a good laugh on the drive up, imagining fettucini burritos and chips and marinara. Oh, if only they were just jokes. Later that evening, I actually saw a basket of bread sticks AND tortilla chips next to a bowl of salsa AND tomato sauce. I would not lie about this.

Our motel was across the street. It was one of those classic motor lodges from the 50's, and, after sound check, we walked over and checked in. We only had about an hour to kill before we had to head back over to the restaurant. The show was sold out, and it was packed to the rafters when we walked in. Most of Sweet Sunny South made it for the second night, accompanied by several of their friends. It felt good to see them right up front. Martha was cool as a cucumber, and smiled at everybody before hitting the first chords. We got through the first tune no problem, then on the second, I couldn't get any sound out of my guitar. I panicked and started checking connections, while Martha and the rest of the band waited. Then I realized that someone had come up and turned all the knobs on my amp down to -0-. I don't know if the sound crew had done it as a precaution, or if it was some kind of a bad practical joke, but I was livid. I pulled myself together to get through the song, but was pretty shaken. Of course, nobody ever turns down anything when I play with The Wilders. We have no knobs to turn.

I settled down and turned in a decent performance despite the mishap. Later in the evening, we had a few "guests"- one of the sound guys came up to play drums on one of Ike's honky tonk tunes. He wasn't bad, he was horrible. He kept trying to do drum fills without any sense of where the beat was. Nate, who was already used to staying right on top of Ike to keep him in time, was on this poor guy in a second. He yelled, "STOP DOING FILLS, JUST PLAY THE SNARE!!!" The poor befuddled guy finally got it together- sort of- but I was glad when the tune was over. Later in the evening, Rob Miller- guitarist with Sweet Sunny South, told me that this was the moment that made the whole evening worthwhile for him. I guess he must like to watch train wrecks. Martha sang great, and Betse played some killer solos. We had already got our nervous jitters out the night before, and I felt that everybody just did a fantastic job.

After the show, Betse was pooped out. She said her goodbyes to everyone, and then turned in for the night. I had very much the same intention, but about the time I got all my stuff packed up, Martha walked up and asked me if a friend of hers could borrow my mandolin. Of course, I agreed and got it out of the case while Ike and Martha pulled up a couple of chairs to play host to a post-show jam. I took the delay in my imminent sleep in stride though, and used the time to catch up with the Sweet Sunny South contingency. The befuddled drummer pulled up a chair and whipped out a case of harmonicas to join the party. This was definitely an instrument he could play, and he sang and blew his harp with indefatigability. Then the other sound man asked me if I would mind it if he played my dobro. At this point, I realized I wasn't going anywhere soon, and grabbed it out of the case for him. He plopped down on my amp, and joined into the ruckus. He was pretty dang good too. Everybody seemed like they were having fun, so I didn't really mind. Then the Sweet Sunny South crew had to leave- which left me and Nate sitting at the bar, drinking free beers, critiquing the noises coming from the corner. I guess an hour or more passed before it finally wound down. I jumped off the bar stool and started loading stuff out to the van. I was surprised when Ike and Martha, who had been the eye of the jam-icane, apologized to Nate and I for keeping us up so late for such a, "lame jam". I said, "you guys looked like you were having so much fun, though". I guess I didn't realize that they had felt as trapped as me. We loaded all the instruments into Martha's room, so as to not disturb Betse, and then retired to Ike and Nate's room for a nightcap. When I quietly entered the room I was sharing with Betse, I saw that it was almost 4am. We were due to leave by 9am the next morning to get back over the mountains for our next gig in Denver- a 6 hour drive. Uhhhhggg.

Everybody looked a little beat the next morning, but our "little band that could" took it in stride, as we chatted and laughed all the way up the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Soon, the conversation wound down, and so I DJ'd my iPod to keep everyone entertained- especially Ike, who was driving. We arrived with little time to spare in Denver, and spilled out of the van, delirious, but happy. The sound man at Swallow Hill, a nice 200+ seat theater in an older part of Denver, was waiting to help us get situated. We loaded in all our crap and began to plug everything up. The sound was great, and we all got a little excited to try our third night in a real concert space. Nate ran out to get us all burritos from a restaurant across the street, and I killed time by eating a chocolate cookie and drinking coffee. This was a mistake. I hadn't really had much to eat. and the sugar and caffeine made my heart race.

Just before we went on, Martha looked at all of us in the dressing room and confessed, "guys, I'm really nervous tonight, this is a folk crowd, and I'm afraid the drums and electric stuff is going to be too much for them." Even though I was about to pass out, I truthfully replied to her, "Don't worry about it Martha, we will do GREAT. These folks will LOVE it." I believed what I said, but something happened (I'll blame it on the sugar) when I walked out on stage. For some reason I forgot what instrument I played on the first tune and, by the time I realized what was going on, I had to scramble to get ready. This set off a domino effect for me that I did not recover from until almost the end of the first set. It seemed like no matter what song we were doing, my instruments were out of tune, my amp settings were wrong, or I just straight up forgot my parts, It was embarrassing and I felt terrible as I walked off stage for the break.

We reconvened in the dressing room and I apologized to Martha for screwing it up so bad. She was gracious and downplayed the whole thing. Then she said, "you know guys, screw it, let's just have FUN." This statement (along with the beer I gobbled down to counteract the sugar/caffiene) really seemed to help. We went back out and got through it with some skin still left on our teeth. After the show, Ike loaded up his drums and went to fall asleep in the van while we all chatted and ate our cold burritos. Then I went to pack up all my stuff, while Nate serenaded me on an old classical guitar he found lying in a back room. I'm not sure what it was called, but he played a lullaby he had written for his daughter Gretel. It was a great way to end a traumatic evening- Thanks Nate.

For the first and last time of our short tour, we checked into a really, really nice hotel for the night. Everybody was completely fried, and we only had about an hour to drive to the gig the next day. We all got in our rooms by midnight and crashed for a nice, long, comfortable night's sleep.

Martha had arranged for a late check out, and we all met in the lobby around 1pm to load up. We grabbed some lunch at a nice bar and grill in Denver before heading up I-25, just north of Ft. Collins to The Swing Station in Laporte. This is the current home-away-from-home of one of our best old road pals, Bradford Lee Folk. Brad was formerly the lead singer of the fabulous, but now-defunct bluegrass band, Open Road. He purchased the bar just over a year ago, and we had been wanting to visit him there for a long time. Now one thing I haven't addressed yet, is the fact that nobody was supposed to know that we were playing with Martha. We have several dates booked in Colorado later this year, and promoters take a dim view of bands barnstorming too close to their festivals for fear that, if somebody can see them at a bar, why would they pay to see them at a festival? So, even though Bradford knows us, he didn't know we were coming with Martha. The look on his face when we arrived carrying in our gear was priceless. I could literally see the blood drain out of his face when he realized that Martha was coming into Laporte with both barrels blazing. He quickly grabbed the bar phone and starting calling everybody on the front range.

Brad's business partner helped us get the sound going outside on the concrete pad/ beer garden, and we hit the first song while the sun was still blazing. The small crowd was in a great mood, and we just let all the tension of the last few days drain away. We even got Brad to come up and pick a couple of obscure old country numbers with us. It was a great way to end a great tour. Later that night, Brad invited us over for an after party at his home a mile up the road. We sat around his dining room table trading tunes and swapping stories late into the morning, before finally heading back to the doublewide trailer behind the bar to crash before the sun came up. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow and, after what only seemed like only a few minutes, Betse's alarm clock startled me awake. It was noon. We sluggishly got ourselves together and headed back over to Brad's to pick up Martha. I helped her load her suitcase in the trailer and took a quiet moment to thank her for the experience. I have to say, I got a little choked up. She gave me a hug and said, "we'll do it again soon, I promise."

It seemed like it took forever to get back to the Denver airport. We pulled up to the rental car area, and all bid Martha a very fond goodbye. As Ike pulled the van away from the airport terminal, I watched Martha disappear behind the glass doors lugging her gear behind her with confidence and grace.

It was 6pm. Now we had a 10-hour drive to get back home to KC. We were exhausted, but it was the best kind of tired.

61 comments:

  1. Great blog, Phil--with pictures, too! You've definitely redeemed yourself for leaving us to our own devices for so long...

    Now, go knock 'em dead in Germany! We'll try to hold down the fort here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12:00p.m. May 1, 2007

    Norm just left to drive the Wilder's to the airport. Their flight leaves K.C. at 1:45p.m. They all look rested and ready to knock their socks off in Germany.

    God Speed Wilder's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. GREAT BLOG--Phil!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Martha Scanlan's website and listened to some stuff--great voice! Maybe someone recorded some of her songs with The Wilders and will post them on YouTube for us!

    --Peggy (aka anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betty, Vieta, or Sweetpea, will you please send word about the safe arrival in Germany of our Wilders? Hope the instruments, luggage, and CD's made it as well!

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to mention, was anyone else totally "cuted out" by the image of Nate seranading Phil to sleep with the lullaby he wrote? Awwwww.....

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will do, Peggy...when we hear anything from them...no word yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess we are kinda fortunate that we get to read about the Wilders. Thanks Phil. One of these days there will be hundreds of bloggers on here and we will be able to say "Well yea!" "Told ya so" etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All those "hundreds of bloggers" are going to have to be able to sign in, though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phil called Kim--they made it safely to Germany. They're all pretty tired--not much sleep or food in the last couple of days and their first show is today--in about an hour. Sounds like a Wilders' tour. He said they are all fine, Germany's beautiful, the tap water is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The jet lag with a trip to Germany can be brutal--hope The Wilders can get in some nap time over the next day or so!

    Thanks for the report, Betty!

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can any of you all out there read German? I think it would be fun to know what some of those German Websites are saying. Is it raining everywhere? Seen ya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not raining here--and in the upper 80's. Bleah. Too hot for early May.

    Glad to hear the cabbage is on its way, LVJ.

    My daughter Suzanna is fluent in German; I'll ask her to translate!

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope this goes through. I've attempted to sign on with Google even with the help of my son who is a computer addict. I may have to be one of the "Anonymous" again.
    Great catching up with you Wilders. Thanks Phil!
    Germany! There's an intersection in Germany, one street is my mom's maiden name and the crossing street is my dad's last name. My nephew took a picture of it when he was out there. Someday I hope to go there to see where my grandparents are from. Hope my distant relatives are hooping it up with you Wilders.
    Signing off for now.
    alias ddmac

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back, ddmac!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went to each site on the tour itinerary, and the blurbs are mostly just German translations of the stuff we've read in English, telling about the type of music, who plays what, festivals they've played, etc.

    I'm SO eager to hear the comments of the audiences over there who are hearing The Wilders for the first time! Maybe some of you will blog?

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was lucky to catch you guys in Cville with the Red Stick Ramblers, and it seems like such a small world that you've been touring with Martha, who's from right down the road from me in JC. I only wish I'd been able to see that.

    -- Joey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to the blog, Joey! We hope to be hearing back from Phil soon about the German gigs; until then, we bloggers will try to amuse ourselves here...

    Why don't you tell us a little more about Martha Scanlan?

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers out there. You all are sweeter than a box of Captain Crunch! Better looking too. You all are even smiley. I am ready for a Germany story. If it stays slow on here, I will see if I can come up with a short and stupid story. (As usual). P.S. I finally got the "leave your comment" thing to work for me. Hit the "sign up here" down below, put in your email address as your username. When you come back here and type in your entry, type in your email address in username and it should post, it worked for me. Somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey LV, quit that trying to entice us to try your clever log in ways. I've been rejected so many times I'm beginning to get a complex.....

    Wilders I hope you are having a great tour, we await your news! I know there is no time to post with that schedule. So just know we anon groopers are cheering you on.

    anonoquote

    Quote: If I ever figure out the mystery of what I was before I was, then I might know what I will be when I cease to be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. O.K., here goes nuthin'...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, it worked!!! But now it's making me use my alter-ego, "Ann Onnymous" as my display name! I tried to un-click it, but to no avail...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will admit that I am crazy, but not that crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vieta was that you with the quote? Bet it was... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just tried again to see who I am now, and it did that "you are not verified" thing again, and now I remain anonymous...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah Betty it was me with a quote.

    v

    ReplyDelete
  27. BroPhil called Kim Saturday evening. The Wilder's are having great success in Germany. The folks there really like them. Other than being very tired from little rest, they are doing well. They really like Germany even though they have very little time to sight see.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks, Betty, for passing that along! Now we need some direct comments from the new German fans!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Little more news from the Wilders. Ike just called, after a 14 hour sleep said he was revitalized. They are loving Germany and the people. Said it unbelievable how nice and kind they are, said they have been playing to packed sold out houses , really enjoying themselves.

    They are busy and loving it!!!

    Thats all I know about it and look forward to brophil's exciting blog after he gets home and has time.

    Hey its me.V

    ReplyDelete
  30. Received a short e-mail from BroPhil today saying things are going GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Betty that is great news! Thanks for the update.

    vieta

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so eager to see something on the blog about the new German fans! Anything you can pass along, Betty?

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Haven't heard other than the folks there really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  34. heiss sveedie dieffel! Da Vilders!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just discovered a snippet of one of their German performances on You Tube--just typed in "germany bluegrass" and scrolled down. Loved hearing the cheers of the German fans! Hope they post more!

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Our granddaughter translated the word "heiss" as meaning hot...but she couldn't find the other words of "sveedie" or "dieffel" in her German dictionary. Does anyone know what they mean??

    ReplyDelete
  37. It is Americanized, my grandmother used to say it to us when we were little and got too close to the stove. I can't remember the exact German words, but Americanized it meant that " it's hot sweet heart" or something. Anyway, I was saying in some kind of gibberish, that the Wilders are hot, sweet heart! That means you Betty, Peggy and Vieta.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I got nothing better to do than translate that German phrase. My ancestors were German, Ticklegrubers and Tickhowers to be exact. Plus I hear a lot of German from the local Amish who always use the mother tongue to curse their horses.

    Heiss means "to lift" with a connotation of stealing. It is the root for our word "heist" as in robbery. Sveedie refers to a small Swede, usually a female child. Dieffel is a recent addition to the German dictionery, not in older ones, and it refers to the practice of committing suicide by jumping off the Eiffel tower. Rare due to travel restictions on suicidal maniacs. The whole phrase was part of a rumour started by a jealous Polka band that the Wilders had kidnapped a small Swedish girl and were threatening to throw her off the Eiffel tower unless CD sales improved. The story has been completely debunked and I'm surprised that anybody posted it here.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Tick, thanks for the translation! I suspected that's what it meant, and I certainly hope they are found innocent of the charges.

    Howar is our family name, too--Rick's mom's maiden name. It was Hauer, I think, in Germany. Does that give me the ability to translate LVJ's gibberish, too? (Actually, it sounded more like Swedish or something to me...)

    Have you all seen the YouTube clip, posted by a French fan?

    --Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  40. OK,OK,OK, she said: Heiss Sweetie Dieffel, or at least that is the way it sounded. She said it meant something about staying away from something hot. She came over here from Germany about 1900 and couldn't speak a word of English. She used to throw a lot of German and or Americanized German phrases at us, but I can't remember them any more. Gott in Heimel?

    ReplyDelete
  41. UMMM, "thanks"
    that sure cleared that up???
    I think???

    ReplyDelete
  42. Does anyone read French? If you go to www.confedephil.skyrock.com/6.html and scroll down to the second picture (a Wilders video), you will note there are five comments. I can't read them, but I think they're saying good things!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ok, from the "Babble Fish" translation.@
    http://world.altavista.com/tr

    try it!



    1: Oups! Thank you Jean Marie, it is true that when I saw on their site that the European round occurs especially to Germany, of the blow I have ' zappé' the others, except that of Holland which failed to pass to the trap door too! Therefore, for impassioned of Belgium and proximity, do not miss Wilders, and aprés the concert if you speak a little English, do not hesitate especially to go papoter with Betse Ellis which will be made a joy of communicating his passion of the blue grass to you... If in Missouri all people are as sympas as it, I emigrate! - LOL

    2:
    Babel Fish Translation Help

    In English:
    Hello with all, Euh... you forgot that the round of Wilders also passed by the south of Belgium (Virton, 20 km of Longwy and 50 km of Luxembourg). For a festival which should like impassioned which attends this blog: Hamawé Roots Festival. All the information on http://www.musiqueacoustique.org A soon... in Hamawé perhaps...

    3: confedephil, Posted Tuesday May 08, 2007 23:38 of ac ' with you, Yukon, with regard to the musical culture in France; worst it is than even the singers with French texts which have a little talent have evil to be made (re)connaitre; it is necessary that they are Belgians and Canadian so that the frenchies realize that the language of Molière has its music, and that that by no means prevents of aprécier Country, Blue grass, the Celtic one and the folk... With regard to the site of Beautiful Valley, it is true that the aspect points out some payages close to the rocky mountains, the climate a little also since the nights even in summer are fraiches. And the country in the open air it is trés sympathetic! I was only a little anxious for the animals because of the decibels; the Vosges of North are trés giboyeuses. And a forester even located a she-wolf 3 years ago of dimensioned Solid mass of Donon... the horses are also numerous in Alsace, which also explains why considerable country dancers and musicians are also riders... LONG LIFE COUNTRY MUSIC, FRIENDS!

    4: your reflexion joined the comm that I have just left in the preceding article concerning the musical tastes. The broadmindedness is proportional to the importance of the culture. In France, the musical culture is formatted because the principal media format it. It is necessary to make an effort of research to leave the beaten paths. It is thus a voluntary act which is not inevitably innate.

    5: Yukon, Posted Tuesday May 08, 2007 18:29 Yes the musical culture with always be a problem in France... and goes down for hearing it country in our country proves it! I met young German who was enthusiastic of going to a concert of jazz to Spain... avec of the groups of which I had never heard parler..Quand I see what some listen to and achetent in France, I am attéré! It is not a question of making elitism but at least to have the open spirit a minimun when even.!? I went on the site of the Festival of the green, sympathetic valley the framework! me which am in mountain, I am very sensitive to the music in the greenery...

    Hey,groopers, you all ok?.

    Vieta

    ReplyDelete
  44. Here is my quote in German

    Ich kenne viele Sachen, denn ich gehe nachts und trage eine Wanne Wasser.

    vieta

    ReplyDelete
  45. keine Übersetzung gefunden

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ich kenne nicht viel Sache, bleibe ich im Haus nachts und trage einen grossen Stock, wenn ich erlösche

    ReplyDelete
  47. I sure hope the German police don't come to the blog and haul you two away!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I meant the German LANGUAGE police... ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Ich auch... bin ich auf Probe für 6 Monate diesmal.

    v (VBG)

    ReplyDelete
  50. V, I think that you have lost it. Please stick to English, and stay sober, and then, maybe, we can understand what the heck you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hallo Völker Die Wilder's Seien Sie Gut Ausfuhrender!!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Meow, Bark, Baaa, and Whinny.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Ya'all are getting silly again.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Phil, Betse, HELP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I want all the bloggers and the Wilders to know that I have received the greatest birthday gift ever, even better than a Red Ryder BB gun. I have received all 311 episodes of The Red Green Show, that's right, all 15 years. I want you all to know that you can come over and watch your favorite episodes anytime. And then after we watch a few episodes, we can go to somebody else's house and fix stuff. I'm in tall cotton, gotta watch, see ya later.

    LVJ

    P.S. it will take 2 hours a day for about 60 days to watch em all.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Happy birthday, LVJ! Congratulations on your great present--and the best news is that you won't shoot your eye out!

    ReplyDelete
  57. UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE Its wrong. The answer was a firm YES.
    first time sexual experience stories
    stories about spanking
    mother daughter incest sex stories
    sexy little sister naked incest stories
    erotic lesbian stories
    UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE Its wrong. The answer was a firm YES.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Julie whispered to him. I told him I would be hissex slave and that I would do whatever he wanted, whenever hewanted and wherever he wanted.
    free online adult erotic sex stories
    teen first time sex stories
    wish gone wrong bdsm stories
    incest sex stories post
    interracial marriage stories
    Julie whispered to him. I told him I would be hissex slave and that I would do whatever he wanted, whenever hewanted and wherever he wanted.

    ReplyDelete