Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Snake in the Grass

I was getting ready to leave Winfield on Monday. I'd stayed over Sunday night but wasn't up for campground shenanigans due to already losing enough sleep (and my voice) over the weekend. So I splurged on a motel room in town, slept decently, and the next morning headed in to tear my tent and its belongings down.

I had come in to the festival at night, the Wednesday before, when it was already looking really full. My festival family welcomed me in, helped me to set up, and made me feel right at home in this little neck of the woods that was to be home for the next several days. (y'all are the best -- thanks so much -- I miss y'all already)

I came back to the now almost empty camp grounds. My tent was the lone survivor of the neighborhood. Fighting the strong Kansas winds, I emptied my tent of its contents, turned my tent over to dump out dirt clods and grass, laid out my tarp and staked it so it could dry, and began to pile all my stuff around my car.

My car is small (compact) and packing it requires careful consideration. It's not one I can pack by just throwing stuff in any old way. So I couldn't really start packing it until everything was in its respective bag, box, or rolled up or whatever. It took a good hour of work to get to this point.

I had put things near their packing location. For example, my tent, camp chairs, tables, and cooler were near the back of my car. My suitcase, hanging bag of clothes, violin case, and some other odds and ends were near the passenger door. I had opened both doors of the car, having gotten to the point where I was ready to start the big pile-in. My violin case was on the ground right beside the passenger seat area. My hanging bag was draped over the open passenger door. A couple other odds and ends sat nearby. I was about ten feet from this side of my car, and the wind was blowing, so things were flapping around a bit.

But none of them were moving through the grass.
Like the five foot long blacksnake.
Going about 10 mph.
Sliding right past me.
Heading straight for my car.
Slithering over the odds.
And the ends.
Working its way up my violin case.
Its head now above the case.
Peering inside my car.
(This takes about three seconds)

Simultaneously...
I'm crying out, "no, no, no".
I'm running toward the car.
I'm praying the snake will be scared.
I'm waving my arms toward it.
It slides off the case.
Goes under the car.
(The other door is open too...)

I shove my case out of the way...
Throw my hanging clothes off the door...
Slam the passenger door...
Run around my car...
Slam the driver's door...
Stand there shaking...
What if it's in the car...
What if it's in the car...
Where did it go...
Is it in the car?
Oh, sh**.
Where is it.

I emptied out what was already in my car. Poked something under the seats. No sign. I moved my car a few feet. No snake. Nothing to do but pack up. After I'd driven an hour or so, it occurred to me that the snake could have crawled up into the engine where it was nice and warm. So I stopped and lifted the hood, peered around. Nothing.

Nothing to do but hope that old snake stayed in Winfield.

But I haven't been out to my car since I got home.

What if it's sunning itself in the windshield?

Nah...

Certainly not.

I hope...

11 comments:

  1. OK, here we go with the snake in the car stories. About 2 months ago, just after tick fest, I opened my van door and was greeted by a 3 foot snake in the floor. I had hauled a load of trash to the dumpster day before and I am sure he was hiding in one of the bags. I am not a snakeophobe, but I hesitate to just reach out and grab one. So while I spoke in gentle tones to him, he crawled up under the dash and disappeared. I was late and had no choice but to get in and drive. I can testify that it was a nervous trip with a couple of convulsive foot movements when I suspected that he was nuzzling my calf.

    Bottom line he never came out until I got back home. I shut all the doors and parked in the sun on the theory that the heat would force the snake to the lowest point in the van, i.e. the door well. Sure enough, an hour later I opened the passenger side door and a panting snake bailed out and returned to the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I set my lazer printer to stun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey y'all! What a great time at Winfield. Wilders, you sound better each time I here ya. Betse, sounds like that snake was trying to get a charge out of ya! They like to hide and pop out when you least expect it, don't want to scare ya but keep your eyes open! Rina, it was nice to meet you at Winfield, the Wilder's were lucky to have you incharge of selling their stuff, hard worker and pretty too! Everytime I saw you were setting stuff up and running back and forth. Great Job! I am sure they sold alot of CD's. Listened to the new CD, it was great, loved it, it is my new favorite. Tamorrow, peacock feathers was a great idea and I took some to take home to the kids. Phil keep writing, love to read it, Beste, your snake story made me laugh! Loved the stage 5 show, glasses were great, were did you get them at? Ike, looked like you better not wear them anymore, you looked a little pale after that! Nate, congrats on the baby can't wait to hear about it, keep us all informed. Take Care Peace to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here... I've been refraining from posting until I've had time to sit and read through all the Windfield reviews.

    I haven't done that, but I figure if I'm being directly addressed, I should comment.

    I'm doing the day-by-day thing here (no, I'm not performing in Godspell). I feel like I made it past some sort of hurdle this week, as I'm feeling better.

    Enough about that. I have to figure out how to hint to all my friends that what I really want for Christmas is the new Wilder's CD. Pressing issue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well folks, no sign of that snake... but I have to confess, I haven't emptied out my trunk yet. I'm kind of afraid to! (Nah, just kidding... I think it would have shown up by now if it was still around.)

    As an aside, do any of you know the old stories of how fiddlers would put the rattle from a rattlesnake inside their fiddle? Some fiddlers insisted it improved the sound. The vibrations of the bow on the strings would make that rattle wake right up and start rattlin'. Then there were fiddlers who wouldn't ever do that because they felt it was like letting the devil in their fiddles.

    I might be more like the latter group. Quite a few years ago, Phil gave me a rattle at Christmas, after we had both started hearing those stories. It was a big'un. I did put the rattle in my case, but inside a little box, because I was afraid the rattle would find its way into my fiddle! When I first got the rattle, I held it next to the "f" hole of my fiddle. Now that rattle was big, but it started acting like it was ready to slip on in that f hole. It started squeezing itself down and slipped through my fingers, and was about to get in there. It would have, too, if I hadn't pulled it away! Every time I would pull that rattle out of the box to look at it, that old thing would start moving towards the f hole, making itself all slippery and trying like heck to get inside.

    So you see, I have a bit of a history with snakes or snake parts and my fiddle.

    I don't keep that rattle in my case anymore. It sits in its box still, but on my table with other fiddle related items. Every once in a while, though, I think I hear the sound of a rattle... ever so faintly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill Monroe kept a snake rattle inside his F-5 mandolin. Somebody asked him about it once and he said it shook around and kept the cobwebs out.

    And a tactful "No Comment" on Betse's slippery rattle story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEEEHIII...the Wilders are coming back to Merlefest!!! They were THE HIT of the last Merlefest. Can't wait!! (go to www.merlefest.org for more info, and put your two cents in at the talk page)

    Also looking forward to seeing the Wild-uns in Knoxville at WDVX on Halloween. If y'all get a chance later that evening, scoot on over a few blocks to the historic Laurel Theater for some great music and contra dancing (check out www.jubileearts.org for directions, events and schedules...Dirk Powell Band will be there on Friday Oct 28th).

    Cosmo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to get mailing addresses for the following folks: Peggy, Vieta, and Timmer. We have some thank yous from the Winfield shower we need to send your way.
    Love, Melissa and Nate

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always miss the good stuff. All I did at the shower was lather, rinse, dry and leave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. tickmeister, I'm shocked that you didn't REPEAT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not that dirty. I passed the smell test after one cycle.

    ReplyDelete