Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Wilders go west, again...

June 11th, 2005-Canton, South Dakota:
A couple of summers ago, we played the Sioux River Folk Festival at this beautiful South Dakota state park location. We apparently made enough of an impact that they invited us back to play a fund raiser. From various conversations with some of the volunteers, the organizers are trying to get enough dough together to move a historic building into the state park to serve as a lodge. I'm not sure if I got all the details correct, but the building that they want to move was part of a mental institution that formerly housed "crazy indians". The guy who told me this actually made quotation marks in the air with his fingers when he said "crazy". He went on to explain that incorrigibles, few with mental illness beyond alcoholism, were regularly shipped to the nut house if they were causing problems on the reservation. To say the least, I am curious about the possible ghosts that might still inhabit this place and am looking forward to staying there if we get invited back.

But on to the show...
South Dakotans love their bluegrass and country music and we had no problem getting the small crowd bouncing in their lawn chairs for the early evening concert. At the end of the set (as was reported deep in the last set of comments), about 50 people got up and moved down to the lip of the stage to dance and scream their heads off. We finished the show at sunset by forgoing amplification and singing "Catfish Blues" right in their faces. Betse played her fiddle solos on her knees right in front of some lucky kids who will no doubt bug their parents for a fiddle for the rest of the summer. In short, it was a great way to start the tour.

Tuesday, June 14th, 2005-Moab, Utah:
Moab is the closest place to mars that I will probably ever get to go. Volcanism, wind and water have teamed up over millions of years to create a landscape that is dizzying in it's beauty. it's a funky place that attracts mountain bikers, river runners, motorcyclists, 4-wheelers etc. etc. Thus, with so much outdoor activity available, the visitors and residents of Moab have an almost orange color from deep and long exposure to the desert sun. We played an art fair in Moab as a pickup gig last summer and the organizers of the fair invited us back to play a proper concert this time at a renovated theater downtown called Star Hall. It was a great space with just the right amount of seats to make the small hall feel packed. We rocked and rolled for two sets giving the audience a good taste of what we do before closing it down with Nate's original tune "Honky Tonk Habit". Several folks came up to us after the show to talk and buy cd's. But one woman waited until the rest of the crowd left before moving in. She told me that she hadn't listened to country music for many, many years because it reminded her too much of her deceased father. She was noticeably emotional and I thanked her for her kind words before sending her out into the cool desert air with a smile on her face and several cd's in her hands. Country music reaches people on many different levels in many different ways. I'm regularly surprised by the impact our shows seem to have on people. I mean, basically we just jump around like a bunch of sugared up monkeys. But, like this Moab woman who missed her father, I think we oftentimes tap into a memory, a feeling, a connection that touches our audience deeply without us really even being aware of it. It's sort of scary and wonderful all at the same time.

Thursday, June 16th, 2005-Telluride, Colorado:
Ok, so why did we go to South Dakota, then Moab? Because we needed practice before hitting the biggest, most prestigious bluegrass festival in the west- TELLURIDE. After the southeast tour, the four of us used our precious three weeks off to get to know our families again, paint our houses, move personal belongings from one storage unit to another, go fishing and attend a fiddler's convention in Mt. Airy N.C. So we needed these two shows to get our game back for this huge festival at the foot of the 14,000 foot peaks of Colorado's San Juan Mountains. There was no shortage of hospitality provided for us. They put us up in a 3 story ski lodge with a jacuzzi, full kitchen, and private bathrooms for all. For transportation, we could call for a van or take three different gondola cars up and over the 10,580 foot mountain pass into town. Remember folks, this is a band who, until fairly recently, brought camping equipment to festivals. The downside to this beautiful place (for us flatlanders) is that there was no dang air to breathe. We all started feeling the altitude as we drove up and up and up to our lodge. Once there, it was an effort to carry our luggage into our rooms without getting out of breath. As is often the case in our band, this afforded an excellent opportunity for an Wilders "man challenge". Over the years, we have killed eons of time by challenging each other to various on-the-spot-sporting/ eating endeavors. Apple eating, underwater swimming as well as motel wrestling matches have been known to happen when we get bored and Betse usually has the common sense to avoid these childish acts (with the exception of her legendary surprise wrestling attacks). So Ike suggested that, for fun, we race each other up the side of the mountain to a bridge that was about 150 yards away. The grade of the hill was only about 20% but we were starting the race at over 9,000 feet above sea level. His only rule was that if you stopped, you had to stay where you were. The word GO was yelled and the race was on. It must have been pretty funny to anyone looking out of their condo to see three out-of-shape guys in cowboy boots lumbering up the trail. Nate and Ike immediately began a sprint while I laid back choosing the tortoise to their hare. I was starting to doubt my strategy due to their enormous lead when Nate suddenly stopped about 30 yards ahead of me (but still well short of the bridge) doubled over and panting, Ike made it a few steps past him to guarantee that he at least wouldn't be last in the competition before stopping too, doubled over and gasping for breath. Although I was getting winded too, I just kept plugging along until I caught up with the both of them and then kept going for another 50 feet or so before giving out too. As I walked back down the hill, I thought I would never catch my breath again. Incidentally, no one won the contest because none of us made it to the bridge.
But we didn't come to Telluride to fool around, we came to play and play we did. Our noon set on the main stage afforded us the opportunity to make a good first impression. Although the crowd seemed a little sleepy (probably from waiting in line half the night to claim their spot), there were audible swells as we furiously tried to tear up the stage. This is one of the largest audiences we've ever played to and we made the most of it for our 75 minutes. Later in the afternoon, we played another short set on the workshop stage in town and whipped the sunburnt crowd into a frenzy with a possessed version of The Golden Gate Quartet's "My Time's Done Come". Then we had a few hours to rest before a long final set at Fly Me to the Moon Saloon. This late night bar show is part of Telluride's Night-grass music series and it was our last chance to make an impression on the crowd before leaving the festival. Lets just say that all the hours in the van, the stress of performing on the main stage, lack of food and rest and a general feeling of exhaustion all worked to create an unstable rocket fuel that exploded on the little stage as soon as we hit the first note. Our energy level was as high as it gets as we ripped from one tune to the next as the crowd went crazy. After 60 minutes everyone was on their feet crammed up against the stage and loving it. We took a short break and were joined for the next two hours by our producer and new pal, Dirk Powell, who took our show up a notch by borrowing Betse's second fiddle and ripping some crazy cajun/honky tonk riffs on his button accordion. By the end of the show, most of the people who were within 10 feet of the stage (both men and women) had removed theirs shirts and were dripping in sweat. I'd say that we made an impression.

20 comments:

  1. Hola from somewhere in the New Mexico desert...

    I was one of the shirtless freeks up front at the Fly Me to the Moon Saloon, and I must say that it was the best show of all four days at Telluride. No small feat considering the absolutely sick amount of talent and incredible performances there! Hail the Wilders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wilders! I saw you guys at the Farm Folk Fest on the 18th. I was hoping to see a post from the event. Here are some pics from the event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good report, Phil. When we get together to do motel stories, I will tell you some personal lies and exaggerations about running in the mountains.

    Also, a strange co-incidence about the shirt story. I played a couple of songs at the Happy Hour in KC last night, and I noticed two or three women digging in their purses to find extra shirts to put on. Not sure what that means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a show at the Night Grass. Shirts off.....ah, I mean....hats off to the Wilders for the awesome music and energetic show. How you all found the energy to basically put on three shows in one day at 9000 ft elevation is beyond my understanding.

    This year, in typical Deb fashion, I headed out west for vacation. A friend suggested the Telluride Bluegrass Fest and plans were layed. (not only do we enjoy great music but I think my friend didn't want to be following me up some switch back into the Wyming back country this year...hehe). We arrived in Telluride on Tues. and set up camp in Warner Field. This is just one of the organized camping areas for the fest and I'm so glad we did that. I don't think we would have survived sleeping in lawn chairs in our sleeping bags prior to getting into the festival. Us Wisconies are used to the cold but not suited to the "ice on the tent roof at 9000 ft elevation in the middle of June". All in all we had a great experience there....can't wait to go back....and met some terrific people.

    And what a wonderful surprise we got on Thurs. We picked our spot out on the lawn and settled in for a long day of tunes. Then the Wilders came on the stage. We were up out of our lawn chairs just loving their music and energy. Of course at the end of the show when they announced that they were playing another downtown we just had to find out how to get tickets.....and we did. We met more great people while waiting to get into the show who were more than happy to share their information on the band's history and current success. We even snuck into the bar a little early and got to meet Ike and Nate. What a couple funny, friendly guys. My friend John and I wanted to ask them for their Kansas City BBQ advice (we are crazy for bbq)...who better to ask right? They gave us a lot of advice on where to try and we ended up going to Gate's. You are right Ike....yummy! Next time Nate we want to try Winslow's for the great beans.

    Sorry for the long entry. Just wanted to share our Telluride Wilder experience. You definitely have new fans here in Wisonsin and we hope to see you'all again in July for the Madison and/or Chicago shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This guy goes on vacation to a tropical island. As soon as he gets off the plane, he hears drums. He thinks "Wow, this is cool." He goes to the beach, he hears the drums, he eats lunch, he hears drums, he goes to a luau, he hears drums. He tries to go to sleep, yet he hears drums.

    This goes on for several nights, and gets to the point where the guy can't sleep at night because of the drums. Finally, he goes down to the front desk.

    When he gets there, he asks the manager, "Hey! What's with these drums. Don't they ever stop? I can't get any sleep."

    The manager says, "No! Drums must never stop. It's very bad if drums stop."

    "Why?"

    "When drums stop...bass solo begins." Who luvs ya Nate!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget the Wilders will be playing in KC at the FREE KC River Festival July 3rd! Family setting check it out at:

    http://www.kcriverfest.com/

    Highly recommend seeing the Cobras at this festival (before the Wilders show) .

    As far as KC BBQ and such, Schultz (2003) in her book 1,000 Places to See Before You Die has both the Telluride Festival cited in it and Kansas City's Arthur Bryant's BBQ, as a nationally acclaimed culinary landmark. Bryant's isn't far from the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob.....just wanted to reply to your entry above....John and I are from Kenosha. We are really looking forward to the Wilders coming to our little corner of the world this coming month (Wisconsin/Illinois). Who knows....we might just try and hit both shows.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey groopers... I have been away for a while, but hopefully I'm back for a longer while now.

    Apparently I almost died on June 22nd. Big drama. Emergency room and hospital stay. Read all about it in my blog, if you need details.

    Anyway, if I'm allowed to put weight on my leg and can walk to the show, I'm going to the gig on the 3rd. Hope to see some of you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well here is a little info on Wilders Riverfest show time.
    Ike is home (in KC that is) since last night. He said the show on
    July 3rd is only 25 minutes long, so if you are going be aware so you don't totally miss it given it's a short show
    time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm debating internally whether or not to try to make it on the 3rd. It is more the walk than anything. I might make my next Wilders gig the one in early August. Decisions, decisions...

    I'll be avoiding cuts and bruises. Thanks for the kind words, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey folks,
    The Riverfest show IS going to be short. There is a television crew filming the entire event and the schedule is very tight. Due to our experience with this event last year, I'd advise those who are ONLY coming for our show to stay at home. However, anyone who wants to see the rest of the entertainment (especially the McFaddin Brothers), and a spectacular fireworks display all in close proximity to the beautiful banks of the Missouri River is welcome and encouraged to attend. I recall having one of the finest corndogs in recent memory at last year's event.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Corn dog, Schmorn dog! Do they have fried Snickers on a stick?

    Actually, it might be a good day to come watch the entire event. I dont' have much else going on, anyway... and music is a good thing. But I won't have my handicapped tag-thingy yet, so I am concerned about the walk. But if you're going to do the new songs everyone is talking about but I've yet to hear, that might up the ante for me... or lower the ante. Whichever analogy would apply in this situation.

    I'd better wait for Vieta to volunteer before I use her as a footrest, lvj... and I've temporarily given up drinking while I'm using a walker to get around... but if I'm not using the walker at that time, I'll take you up on the beer-fetching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, EyeRyt but with only 25 minutes, I'm doubtful that we will be doing more than a couple of the new original tunes. Keep that in mind. And no, I'm not a vegetarian. That's a dirty stinking lie propogated by the meat industry to keep their sales up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello groopers! Although I am new to reading and posting here I just wanted to let everyone know that it has become a daily routine to check the site and read the new postings, news, jokes, lyrics, etc. What a fun group of folks that regularly visit. I've also been reading some of the archived posts and truely appreciate what Phil, Betse, Ike, and Nate are doing out there. It sure hasn't been easy for them (I read the long posts about the "Chief" the other night) but they keep bringing great music and great times with them. Thank you Wilders :)

    I have one question for LVJ......were you really insulting Vieta by refering to her a cheese head? (I'll follow that question up with a Wisconsin tid bit for those who might not know.....folks like to refer to us Wisconies as Cheese Heads....and we aren't so bad...hehe)

    have a great 4th of July holiday. John and I are only counting the days till we get to see the Wilders in Madison. Thank you Timmer for the information about the venue. We will try and get there as soon as we can.

    ok, one last question and then I truely have to go....is there any benefit to registering as a Blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  15. For some reason that statistic made me laugh, Vieta. But I think it was a crazy laugh, not a sane person one. That is scary. I'm going to pretend I didn't read it.

    Sweetpea, congratulations on that decision. Think of the stress you've saved yourself! What I'm trying to remember is whether or not we've met. If we did, I was probably drunk at the time, because I don't remember it.

    As for the benefits of registering, I did it because I had to back in the day. The blog was a side-effect, and I occasionally update it just in case anyone reads it. When I set up my blog, I set up a profile as well (which you might be able to do without creating a blog but just registering... I don't know). Also, that picture is ten years old and I lived in California at the time. I no longer wear glasses, have a tan, or weigh under 250 pounds. ::sigh::

    Tiding of comort and joy (like the plug for a holiday CD?): Rembmer that CD that I thought had been stolen by a student? Well, the good news (or bad news, if you were excited to think a student liked The Wilders enough to steal a CD) is, I'm old and crazy, apparently. I was looking at some photos I need to buy frames for, and after I finished measuring them, curiousity made me look at the two CDs sitting underneath them. One was Spring A Leak. I guess I took it home sometime before Mother's Day (which was the day of the leg-breaking), and forgot. So, I'm glad I didn't ing, take broPhil up on that whole free CD thing, because I'd be feeling like a total schmuck now.

    Despite my desire to see a broPhil-recommended artist, I don't think I want to go through all that rigmarole (I just had to look "rigmarole" up on Merriam-Webster online to spell it, and it has an interesting etymology) to see the show tomorrow. It's looking more and more like I might want to take some time off to have a long weekend in Winfield... or Winn-wherever everyone keeps mentioning...

    At least I'm doing the thing in August. Is there some "not-scheduled" bar performance coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Re: the errors in my last post

    I'm on a laptop at the house where I'm staying while I'm healing (leg-wise), and the cursor keeps moving around on me... and I'm tired. And I was just in the hospital.

    Enough excuses yet?

    Also, is someone keeping track of this blog's topics? Did you add "blood clots"?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You all just keep me laughing :)

    I'm glad to hear that you are healing eyerystuf. I had a friend go through a scare much the same this year. She had made the mistake of falling a sleep with some kind of stocking that she wears for poor circulation. Eventually after doing this a couple of times she developed a shortness of breath at work and then decided to go to the hospital. They found the clots in good time and were able to put her on medication.

    LVJ if you really want one of those wonderful faux triangles of cheese to wear on your head I'm sure I could arrange that (seeing that I live a short couple miles from a resteraunt called the "Brat Stop" and I know they sell them there). I don't recommend anyone stopping there to have a brat mind you. False advertising in the name. So please, please Wilders.....if you are driving down I-94 from your gig in Madison to your shows in Chicago....do not be tempted by the false images that are conjured by the wonderfully named "Brat Stop". They do support the local muscians from time to time with live shows but I just don't recommend eating there.

    well, it is almost impossible to type with a labrador nose under your arm (pesky dog today). Take care everyone and enjoy the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 4th, everyone. I would wear a cheese hat. But anyone who knows me knows I don't care what I wear, mostly.

    Can I just say that life WITH "Spring A Leak" playing in my CD player is much better than life WITHOUT it? Well, I don't know if I can say it or not, but I just typed it. So there.

    Hope everyone has a safe evening.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ******BOOM *****BANG*****


    HAPPY FIRE CRACKER DAY !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite July 4 incident took place at the Tickranch about 8 or 9 years ago. Can't remember if any Wilders were involved, but the Trouble in Mind guys all were. Somebody had bought about 100 dollars worth of fireworks, then the drinking got heavy before dark. Upshot was that the decision was made to shoot them all at once. A giant pyramid of fireworks, soaked in gasoline and lit. No serious injuries. Fireworks aren't really that much fun unless you are impaired and of course that's just when you shouldn't mess with them.

    Not finalized, but I think I have scored an MC gig at Winfield, might get to introduce the Wilders, who knows. A generous tip to an MC pretty well gaurantees a good introduction, and the tip doesn't even have to come from the band. Anybody wants to chip in I will give you my Paypal account No.

    ReplyDelete