Thursday, May 19, 2005

Photo contest!

Well, gang,

Since brotherphil is extra busy (that dude is hardly ever NOT busy), I offer a new header, new photo, but no real news. However, I do have a new contest! Whoo-hoo!



This photo was sent by Jeremy Rosenshine who was at the Greeley Roundup... Thanks Jer. Anyone else have some from last weekend?

OK -- here's the contest. I am looking for a good live image of us to use in our next ad for No Depression. (that's an alt-country magazine, not a psychological journal) I don't have anything I'm real excited about for that purpose yet. The best kind of photo would have not much going on in the background, and needs to show all our faces, and needs to be in focus. That's tough, I know! I need this photo no later than Monday, May 23, in order to use it.

If YOU have a good recent photo of us that you would like to submit for this use, you may win yourself an autographed photo of us (our Official Promotional Photo -- these are not for sale)! So, here are the guidelines -- in order to win, you gotta pay attention to these!

* Photo must be in digital format. (Scanned is ok)
* Photo must be at least 500K and no larger than 3 MB at time of sending. Jpg format preferred.
* Must show each Wilder's face (that's the biggest challenge -- gotta see Nate!)
* Does not have to be an on-stage photo.
* Must be taken no earlier than August 2004.
* Must be sent to: bewilder@kc.net no later than 1 pm, Monday, May 23.
* The most favorite photo will be considered for use in the ND ad. The winner will receive an autographed picture of the Wilders!
* Winner's photo and runners-up will also be posted here on the blog.
* This contest is my spur-of-the-blog-moment idea and therefore is entirely subjective -- my favorite will win!

As an example -- though I enjoy the photo above, it would not win the contest (sorry, Jer, nothing personal!). We are not quite in focus (another challenge when capturing us in a show, I know!); Ike's face is too shadowed (though I can do some work with that in Photoshop); and the background w/ the Greeley banner makes it really hard to get rid of the background (which I'd need to do for the ad). Also a preferred photo would be more of a close-up on the band (I can crop, but that's more manipulation and lower resolution potentially). Hopefully this will help clarify what I'm looking for.

Also, though, if your photo of us doesn't fit the requirements, you can still send it for fun! Just please keep it no larger than 1 MB for the fun ones. I'm still living with dialup slow-mo modem.

All right! This'll be fun!

Any questions?

11 comments:

  1. LVJ -- ahem -- did you read the bulleted list of guidelines? I am thinking -- NOT -- as it clearly states there what the winner gets.

    But in case you are not alone in your query, what the winner gets is an autographed copy of our Official Promotional Photo. This photo is not for sale and is the one that we send out to all the fancy newspapers and such.

    Bob & DD... I am so sorry to hear about your mother, Bob. I hope you all are doing ok. Singing is good for your soul and I'm glad you did that. We wish all the Larryfesters the BEST -- we love all you Wisconnies! Have fun with your band and 1964!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's an outrage for ya: I stopped by the school to check up on things for a few minutes, and when I went to pick up my "Spring A Leak" CD from whence it was last left (to my knowledge), it was not to be found.

    Before I start rounding up 7th graders into interrogation rooms, I'm going to send an e-mail out to the staff, in case someone borrowed it... but my money's on some 7th grade closet Wilder fan. If only I could figure out which one it is...

    Oh, and I have pics of the group, but I don't think any of them came out clearly, so I won't even bother.

    Hope everyone is coping with whatever is coming your way. May you discover more beauty than pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Eyeytstuf!
    I love it when people like us so much that they are willing to steal! My wife had a great experience at Winfield last year. We had the usual throngs of people around us after a show on Stage III, we were trying to keep it organized with all the T-shirts and CD's moving out into people's hands and suddenly she grabbed my arm and said, "I just saw that old lady steal a CD!" I looked out and a woman was quickly moving away from the table into the masses. I said, "wow, she must have really wanted it, good for her..."

    Hey, if it doesn't show back up, don't sweat it, I'd be happy to send you a replacement free of charge. Just send me your address and I'll make it good ok?
    Don't hate them, they just REALLY wanted it- which is pretty cool when you think about it...
    p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I long ago lost a hound, a bay horse and a turtle dove. I am still on their trail......

    Oops, sorry, wrong blog.

    Actually I haven't lost enough stuff. Phil, could you bring a truck around and haul a couple loads of crap to the dump for me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really should have tried to hobble my way to the Olathe thing. Duh me.

    I don't hate the kid who took it, BroPhil... but it's annoying. I do still have my "On The Wings of a Dove" CD, so at least I could "Brighten the Corner" my way into a good mood while driving.

    You know, during NJHS meetings I would sometimes play that CD and lots of kids--especially the ones in orchestra--had a real appeciation for it.

    I'll let you know what the status is. No need to send a free one. I can support the band and some kid's interest in non-"gansta-rap" music at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I see the pattern here. It's obvious that all of the stuff that everyone thinks has been stolen was actually sucked up in that F4 tornado last spring and was deposited at the Tickmeister's ranch. Rather than being the middleman, I'd suggest everybody contact the Tickmeister directly and inquire as to his current inventory of twister merchandise. It'll be a win/win for everybody...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, we still got twister merchandise on special. All you can haul off free.

    Heck, I'll do better and throw out a little contest. I'll deliver a load of twister merchandise to the first person who correctly identifies the first line of my last post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK Peggy, you sort of win. Actual title is "Walden", not "Walden Pond". Therefore, you don't get the first prize, one load of tornado trash. Instead, you get second prize, two loads of tornado trash. I don't know what you will find, but if you are optomistic, I will deliver. Incidentally, do you have a backhoe or something to unload it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. May I recommend the $3 shower trailer which is by the horse barn on the festival grounds... by the time you get off site and to the motel and then back in the festival, you'll have spent almost $3 in gas and more in time and effort. I have used this shower before and it's SO worth it.

    Here come the contest results! Uploading now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's really cool about the on site shower at Winfield is it's still three dollars no matter how many people share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LVJ,
    I'm reading your comments on several of the latest shows and I'm a little confused about your position. Are you a fan or a critic? I love the Wilders and I believe that much of there charm is derived from their ability to engage with the specific energy of each specific crowd. I have had the pleasure of seeing the Wilders play in tiny churches, off-beat picking circles, street corners, living rooms, national stages, back-yards, smokey bars, empty bars, packed bars, restaurants and yes, crowded patios in College towns on the day of graduation, and I have never fancied myself in the role of anyting but grateful fan. Maybe you should stick to workshops and radio shows if you are so bothered by rowdy audiences. Those people pay for tickets too.
    Sincerely,
    Very protective Wilder Fan

    ReplyDelete