Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Contest Results!

Thanks to all who participated -- I'll be compiling a scrapbook of everything you sent! Eventually it would be fun to have an online scrapbook and I'll keep you posted.

Here's the winning photo! Taken by Mary B. (yes, she is our agent, but everyone was eligible) This was taken at Merlefest, and yes it does include Dirk Powell (but that's not why it won)



Here's why I made this #1. The framing of the shot is so dang cool. It just so happened in this instance that having Dirk there on the far right made for such a natural frame, and look at the movement on the right & the left w/ Ike. Yes, the mic is almost in the way. But not enough to kill it. Yes, my face is a little blurry. But look, Ma, no background (practically)! However, the final key ingredient for a winning photo is here: ACTION. An image that gives an idea of what you see when you see us perform... the excitement, the energy, that Wilders Thing... you can see it, right? Well, I can!

And, I am using it in the No Depression ad... with the help of a filter, the blurs don't matter anymore:



Congratulations, Mary! This is gonna look so cool in print. It's gonna be black and white, fyi.

There are several notable runners-up, and if you will each email me your snail mailing address, I'll make sure you get something special, too.

This one was a joint effort from Tammy & Rina... Taken just this past Sunday at the Replay Lounge in Lawrence... the action makes it notable... we're really leaning into it!




Here's one from Kim R. From Winfield 2004. I like the side angle for something different.




This one is from Dana. Also from Winfield 2004. For those who know us, it should be evident this was taken at the gospel set!




And, honorable mention goes to Loudon T. Also from Merlefest. I LOVE the action and if we'd seen Nate in the pic... anyway, it's fun!



Hope y'all enjoy seeing these! And even though THIS contest is over, I always love getting pics of us. Send 'em any time!

10 comments:

  1. None of the pictures I've taken even comes close!

    Someone make a "Mark would be standing here if he had two working legs" sign to hold up at Windfield, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm stupid. I thought Winfield was comin' up REAL soon. So change the sign to "Mark would be standing here if he could have planned far enough in advance." Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I should be using both legs at that time... and hopefully with not too much of a limp.

    I went to the schedule to see the next concert in the area when I'd have two working legs, and it looks like the Pitch thing or the Olathe Park thing are going to be it. So, who is going to those? I want to look for people at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet money they were at least toe-tappin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone,

    A special note to all the runners-upsers -- I am working on special prizes for you, but I'm sorry to say they will be delayed. Too many things to do... I am leaving town today, like any minute now, but I keep thinking of tasks and things to do. I am going on a little vacation and when I get back I will get your goodies to you, ok? Make sure you send me your mailing address (use the email link on this page) -- I got a couple replies but not all yet!

    Thanks again for participating and remember we always love getting photos, prizes or no!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, V, but according to snopes.com, the story is just another e-mail falsehood that had made its way around the e-world.

    Nice story, though.

    Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Vieta... and yes, you may say so. I'm working on taking compliments, so forgive me if I look awkward or stutter.

    The leg is healing, although on my way down the stairs at my house yesterday I started to fall, and the cast had to take some weight. I hope I didn't mess anything up, but it beats falling down the stairs.

    Have I mentioned on here the I have a solo on June 11th and 12th? I don't know if men's choruses (chori? chorussessess? whatever) are your thing or not groopers, but I'd be happy to see any of you there! I should warn you, almost all (if not just plain all) of the music will sound very little like Wilders music. More like Kander and Ebb music.

    In Wilders-related news, I'm sure there's somewhere I could look it up, but I'm not that clever: When is the CD with the new stuff on it going to be available for sale on the Wilders site? Anyone know? I'm holding off buying my new copy of S.A.L. until I can buy that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I am going to try to get at least two full live shows posted on our "listen" page before we head back out on the road. Keep on the lookout for a fantastic gospel performance in Victoria, British Columbia, as well as a show in Winters, California. You will be able to get a sneak peak at many of our new original songs as well as some of Betse's great original fiddle tunes. The release date for the new album is still up in the air but Ike is in Louisiana as we speak putting the finishing touches on the mixes with Dirk. He called yesterday and said that it sounded phenomenal. This will easily be our best record yet. Obviously, we will keep everybody informed as to the progress. Have a great holiday weekend everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Peggy,
    No Christmas CD is in the works. But, we do have two Christmas variety show performances in Kansas City at the Reading Reptile Children's Bookstore on December 16th and 17th. Stay tuned to our website for details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm on the Christmas CD bandwagon, but you knew that already.

    No way I'm gonna sing around no Wilders performance, as that would be like lighting a candle next to a lighthouse... or something.

    Thank you for the refresher/update on the new CD. I think I will go ahead and order my S.A.L. with my next paycheck rather than wait until the new one comes out.

    Speaking of Christmas, I think I might give a lot of Wilders CDs, and most people I play the CDs for want their own copy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just did the Pitch vote and it took the phone number, Peggy. I used dashes between the numbers like this: 000-000-0000. I would recommend typing in the phone number before your email; in other words go out of order in filling in their text blocks. One other time I enter info in-order (email address first then phone number) and it wouldn't take the number.

    Also, if you have a junk email blocker your confirmation email from the Pitch may go there in your junk folder since most programs read their confirmation as 'junk'. This may have happened to your email confirmation, Vieta. Maybe see if you can vote again and catch the confirmation.

    ReplyDelete