Friday, February 25, 2005

Here we are...

We made it safely to Tacoma and I'm writing from the hotel room now. The week behind us has been all kinds of interesting... more on that later, folks, I just want to let you know that we (and our instruments) got here safe and sound.

As usual on the road, internet access is intermittent, so thus the delay in a post from any of us. Here's a bit of an update.

We played one set this afternoon and while we were tired, I think it went over really well. It was a "workshop" set, "Meet the Wilders". I think we gave folks a decent intro... tonite we play a late night set at "Club Wintergrass"... it's a night full of dancing, but not called square dances, just any kind of dancing. Should be fun and boy, I can say I'm already glad that we don't have a set until tomorrow evening. Usually we play in the afternoon and then the evening but this time we get to sleep in... I can't wait.

This festival is a big'un. There's all kinds of folks jamming everywhere you go. I asked when we checked in if they had a quiet floor (the term for when you're at a hotel festival and there are floors that are designated no jamming -- thus the quiet) -- but no such luck here. They said they tried that and it didn't work, so they just let the jamming happen wherever and whenever... I'm hoping that us being on the 19th floor will help cut down on too much late night noise. When I really want to sleep, I really don't want to hear guitars and loud voices, you know?

Anyway... shows so far have been good. Cain's was fun -- thanks to y'all who were there, we sure appreciated your support! Wichita was also fun as it really helped to kick off the tour at a festival where everybody knows us and is right there with us from the start. I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend and then onward... upward... there will be perhaps some more detailed posts coming up but for now, let's leave it at this.

I'm feeling like this is a letter and it always kind of is for me, so now I'll say I hope you all are well and safe and happy... hope to see you soon, take care!

7 comments:

  1. I had a great time hanging out with you folks at Wintergrass. I hadn't heard a note of your music, and only a passing mention from my fiddle teacher Sammy Lind of Foghorn String Band prior to getting to Tacoma. Needless to say, I was sold on Friday night watching the three of you jam in the lobby around the piano. Your sets kicked my ass, and I can't wait until your Portland, Seattle and Victoria shows. I'll be at two, if not all three, for sure.

    Betse, what was that bluesy song you sang at 4am on Friday night with Ike on the piano? I loved it.

    Every year at Wintergrass, there is a band who comes out of nowhere and kicks the crowd's ass, and creates a buzz bigger than anyone of the big names there. Last year it was the Reeltime Travelers. This year it was the Wilders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From sweetP

    I just received that Wilders DVD! I realized how great it was when I
    was literally bouncing up and down on the bed as I was viewing
    it....this was during Sleepy-eyed John. Nate was adorable with his
    crazy sense of humor like that '50 foot wedding dress' behind him.
    Gosh, I bet the young gals love him! I must say I got a bit jealous at
    all those fans who see my guy more than I do. Still would want
    anything else for those Wild Wilders though. Aren't they the most
    well-oiled machine when it comes to sound and a grab bag of surprises
    when it comes to performance?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is from sweetP

    Subject: good news about Chief


    I called Ike and they are back in AZ and instruments are safe once
    again- so you can report this on the blog.

    This wonderful man worked on the
    Chief when they were gone and had to
    get a special drill like tool to remove the crystals within the fuel
    line----it was so bad the mechanic was surprised that they could even
    drive at all. He did various other things too. So hopefully this will
    not only solve the problems with the Chief but also get them better gas
    millage.

    So I wanted you to know they are doing better.They have today off to get some odds and ends things
    done. I think the Club place they will be playing at next is giving
    them two nice hotel rooms so that should help them rest then they have
    to drive a ways and hit the road hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's Friday 3/4 5:30. As I was watching a possum outside my
    window eat some squash scraps, I talked with Ike in AZ. They (Ike and
    the mechanic) are down under the RV still working on it...some time and
    money have once again been put into the Chief. The Wilders have to
    travel 500 miles by noon tomorrow to make the next gig....they need
    that gig ($) So, if this last mechanical tinkering doesn't work the
    Wilders will have to rent a van and use it through the CA shows....this
    might be $3000.00 to travel in the rented van.....bummer. So cross
    your fingers, your legs, your eyes, whatever it takes to bring good
    energy to the Chief. I don't even say 'I hate that Chief anymore' , in
    hopes of sending good energy. vieta, you can share this with the blog
    if you want. I can't imagine the Wilders getting on there with news
    until things get more upbeat...the only beating they want to do right
    now is on and at the Chief. You know how patient Ike is... he's the
    most tolerant person I know, yet he's even on edge.

    Send goodness to them! Sweetpea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of crystals in a gas line. Why not just run a new gas line?

    Anyway, this is getting to be a major pain. I've got a poem about the Chief about half done, but it ain't funny at present, so will have to put it on hold for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wilders fans! I'm asking Vieta, Ike's mom, to post an update about the Wilders for you. They have had some hard times, so I know all you groupies will forgive the lack of updates on the blog during this tough time on the road. You should know that they are SAFE and supporting each other well during their struggles with the Chief (the RV).

    I talked to Ike several times yesterday as they struggled with fixing the RV in Arizona in order to make it to a California show-- about ten hours driving time away. As of last night they were renting a 15 person van and going to drive through the night to make it to a noon show in CA. The RV has been left behind once again with the Wilder's new angel, a mechanic who has pledge to see the ordeal through. I don't have this wonderful man's name, but I can tell you this is one of those rare people that can see and feel the stress of another and pledge to making a difference in the bad situation. I won't go into all the many details of what has been worked on and the parts replacements on the RV, but right now this angel and another mechanic are going to keep working on the RV and 'the angel' is planning to actually deliver the RV to the Wilders in CA...if it gets fixed. Can you imagine someone taking personal vacation days from work to make all of this happen for the Wilders!?!

    I can tell you that most bands would greatly struggle with the recent happenings and some would even break up over the stress and frustrations. But, your Wilders are hanging in there and making decisions together. The next time you see them, they'll need your BIG hug or HUGE applause. They have some bar shows coming up in CA and those are much work with little money, so welcome them back when you see them next. I know they will be in Columbia, MO (at MOJO's) on April Fool's Day and we would be fools to miss that show. Hope to see you there! Send them your best energy...it's a hard tour in the West.

    Warmly, Sweetpea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bad feeling about this business of riding around in a rig that actually runs. They're gonna' start getting to gigs early, have time on their hands, maybe fall in with bad companions, start drinking, gambling, God knows what else. Mark my word, no good will come of it.

    ReplyDelete