Friday, August 29, 2008

Random Stop...










Thursday, 8/28/08 @ 9:13pm

Interstate 70, East of Hays, Kansas:

I was jolted awake when Ike hit the brakes-HARD. The van lurched to the right, crossing the rumble strip, and stopped roughly on the shoulder. Semi-trucks, lugging their heavy loads roared by as I sat up with a "hrumph." I had drifted off into sleep long enough for the sun to have gone down without my awareness. I had no idea where we were.

Ike was already out of the van by the time I raised the blinds. I looked out the window and spotted him-up to his chest in grass, climbing up a small hill toward a ridge of trees. Towering above him, about 100 feet beyond, was a solitary wind turbine turning fast in the Kansas wind.

Betse yelled out, "oh no, I bet there are chiggers."
"You can brush them off!" he yelled back as he disappeared through the tree line.

Nate turned around from the seat in front of me, laughing, and said, "Hey Phil, did you think we would be stopping for THIS?". I grumbled a non-answer, and looked back outside at the turbine, scanning the trees for Ike.

"Wow, you can hear it," Betse said, "LISTEN..." I slid my window open, but for several moments, all I could hear was the traffic whooshing past. Then I heard it, the steady, "whump, whump, whump" of the turbine.

Spurred on by this new auditory impulse, Betse too was now off into the grass, She moved with greater care than Ike- perhaps hoping to limit her parasite exposure. Nate turned to me again and said, "He was just talking about wanting to climb something." Chuckling, he added, "He's going to be on top of that thing in a few minutes."

I collapsed back into my seat with a grumble-feigning disinterest. The part of me that knew this was going to make us late, had taken momentary control of my vocal chords. But there was another part of me that secretly wanted to see Ike's shadowy silhouette moving up the side of the tower- no matter how late it made us.

I sat back up and said, "Do they even HAVE chiggers in central Kansas?"
"I don't know," Nate replied as he stepped outside to water the roadside flowers, "but I'm not feeling adventurous enough tonight to find out." Then he said, "Hey, they're coming back, there must have been a fence"

Ike an Betse returned to their respective front seats, obsessively brushing and rubbing their wrists and ankles. They spoke to each other emphatically-not about wind turbines, but about feeding habits and human defense strategies against Trombiculidae, the common chigger. It was obvious that they now imagined their bodies teeming with microscopic mites. Innumerable chiggers were slipping into a sock here, a waistband there, or worse yet, crawling under a warm, moist fold of skin where there would be protection from the incessant brushing and rubbing- the sort of place a chigger can relax, a safe place where he can linger long enough to begin to feed...



For those who don't believe in the existence of the much-reviled midwestern chigger, please visit:

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/

Or, for you adventurous disbelievers, I invite you to visit any picturesque backyard, pasture, or meadow of Missouri grass between June and August. Go ahead, have a seat, relax and see for yourself if chiggers are real.

By the way, you can't see them, they are invisible...

13 comments:

  1. upps, what´s that now ..... uahh ..... I´m never really away from this blog. Only not enough time for to translate all the blog entries and for to write. Fly only above the comments and happy about that I met the Wilders and their great music ...... Now, by such a picture from such a critter, I must translate that chiggertext at first the next days - I'm curious about it ....
    Take care.
    Happy about you

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are invisible to the naked eye. They are real, very real. Did they get a bunch of chiggers? Did Ike climb the wind turbine? You got me hook line and sinker man, what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DID leave us hanging...?

    Are Ike and Betse still scratching?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I know:
    1. Neither Ike or Betse climbed the wind turbine
    2. Neither Ike or Betse got any chigger bites.
    Thus: Chiggers may or may not exist in central Kansas.
    ALSO THUS: The Wilders have returned from a weekend in Colorado unscathed, unbit, and unclimbed.

    Despite all the "un's", we had a great time, played real good and lived to tell the tale...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chiggers are rare in central KS, I lived there 16 years and don't remember many bites if any. I think it is a bit hot and dry for them. They are small, but not invisible. As I understand it, they bite, feed, and leave before the swelling and itching start, this they are not seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ike climbed over the barbed-wire fence, before I got up the hill. He got pretty close to the turbine but it was a bit more of a hike.

    The sound of it from the fence line was already huge. I heard an NPR story about people who live near these monsters and the sound never stops... it becomes sonic torture.

    But we always love to see them on our drives.

    Phil and I believe we saw trucks moving up some of these very turbines, last year on the way to Winfield.

    Chigger removal protective procedure:

    We stopped at a gas station soon after the possible exposure, to wipe all them buggers off. This involved privacy and removal of all clothes, and shaking out each item of clothing thoroughly before re-donning.

    (I didn't know you could wipe them off until this night. Apparently the little guys can't hold on too well until they get under your skin.)

    Now, maybe there weren't any there. But that grass was tall and lush and I would just bet it was a pretty good spot for them.

    I do have a couple itchy spots on my lower legs. Not bad, though, and not as itchy as chiggers tend to be. So that must be something else that got me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Thanks" for the update, Betse. I'm glad you and Ike escaped.......un-bitten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. now I have translated the text from Phil and the comments:
    Phil your are a really great writer and nice to know, what all the other bloggers have to said!

    Last year I had catched me a flea. Oh, it had nerves so much.
    Doc said: "Think, it´s a flea, which can´t survival with your blood, it needs animal blood."
    I had luck, the doc was right.

    And I remember on a story, when I read, that Ike jumped over the fence:
    Few years ago, I was in France, I jumped over a wall, because there where no bunch (drink to much water, so must watering the flowers ...). After this someone said: Hey, didn´t you think, that their have could be a bull or a bitchy dog.
    I: not in this moment - to much preasure. But I was very happy, that I had luck - so no wild bull or bitch dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you see? Did you see? Wilders come to Germany!!!

    January no more worry, ´cause Wilders play till February!

    Count the months,
    soon the days,
    happy all my ways!

    Live to be with Betse, Ike, Nate and Phil - that is what I will!

    Could make a handstand,
    rock my feet,
    do you feel the beat?

    They stay in my heart, so we´ll never be apart.

    Wilders will be back,
    it´s so good for my neck.

    So much fun and pleasure and no preasure.

    I´m so happy,
    I´m so high,
    flying up to the sky.

    Music played from the Wilders ... oh so groovy, don´t need a movie ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a nice poem, Jutta!

    I never heard about "brushing off" chiggers, but that's certainly a nice thing to know. They're everywhere down here in SW Missouri, and I doubt if Kansas is a no-chigger zone.

    Rick and I were stopped alongside the road recently--can't remember exactly where--, but several very long flat-bed trucks passed us, carrying these really strange, huge white blades of some sort. Then we figured out what they were--windmill blades! They sure do look a lot bigger up close!

    Nice to hear from you, Phil and Betse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ran down to Winfield to see what was going on. Just like that old song - Eldarado by sunset, Winfield by dark. Lots and lots of people everywhere. Just like that old song - O Lord, won't you help me find my friends. I finally ran into Peggy and Rick and hung out there for a while. I ran into Betse at stage 7 about midnight. Saturday at stage 7, Betse played with several bands and kicked behing playing solo. All our other favorite bands where there at stage 7 playing away. Usual rowdy crowd. Lots of craziness. The Walnut Valley Festival ASS., as in association, ran a poll on Saturday afternoon, and a high perscentage of people were telling the guy they preferred the lake. I tried to grill him, but he wouldn't talk. I don't know how many people went to the fairgrounds, but there were several thousand campers around the lake. Awesome sight. Too much fun. I bet Peggy will get on here on elaborate about fairground attendance. Peggy is quite the campground jammer. Next year we will have to have a sauer kraut spasm. Missed Tick, Phil and a few others. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, Winfield was definitely different this year, with the campgrounds and festival about twenty minutes apart! I think a lot of folks just stayed at Winfield City Lake and didn't even go over to the fairgrounds for the "real" festival. Crowds were 'way down at the main stages. Campground jamming was sensational, because some of the paid bands came over on Saturday night to play at WCL. We listened to David Munnelly Band, The Wiyos, and The Old 78's until 2:30 or 3:00 a.m.! Nate came over to our mini-La La Land on Saturday. Never did make contact with Betse, and were sorry about that. I think she was on Stage 5 at 2:00 a.m., but it was about a two-mile hike over there, and we just couldn't make ourselves do it.

    Yeah, the sauerkraut spasm was missed--hope to do that again next year!

    Loved playing and singing with you, and hearing your neat songs, LVJ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peggy, thanks for the compliment, it is important to have your songs considered neat by your fellow bloggers. Hey, I made an assumption that the guy taking a poll down at Winfield was from the WV Assoc. I don't know who he was or his affiliation. He could have been a goofball camper taking an impromptu poll. This was pointed out to me by Betse, and she is correct. She said, and she hit the nail on the head, that Stages 5 and 7 and etc., would not exist without the WV Association. If the WV Assoc folds, how long would Lake camping last? Would the City of Winfield allow it to continue? Tick was at the Brick last night and played a couple of tunes. It was good to see him again, hear the playing and the jokes and stories. He said it was the first Winfield he has missed in over 30 years. I'm hearing that the Xmas shows are being planned, can't wait. LVJ

    ReplyDelete