Friday, September 01, 2006

Hark, the Herald Angels, CRAAAACK!!!

Edinburgh, Scotland, August 26th 2006

It was our final night of performances in the La Gayola tent, at Spiegel Gardens, in Edinburgh, Scotland. We were all in high spirits because, earlier that morning, we had accepted a Herald Angels award for our performances at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. This award, presented on a weekly basis by the Edinburgh Herald newspaper throughout the 3 week festival, is a huge honor. Basically, we were picked as best band at a festival featuring about 2000 bands. In addition to that, we had a near sellout audience inside the antique La Gayola tent, who were just as excited as we were. We were approximately halfway into our performance, when Betse asked to do a solo. Nate, Ike and I were happy to oblige, and went backstage. We were joking around with members of the band following us, when the night turned from triumph to terror... That was the moment when Ike said, WADE, throw the WHIZZER!"

As some of you know, I was a wrestler in middle school and high school. Coach Elder, my middle school coach, used to yell that phrase at me while I was getting my head squeezed off by a more powerful opponent. He would wait for my foe to reach over my shoulder, at which point he would scream from the side of the mat, "WADE, throw the WHIZZER! THE WHIIIIIIZZZEER!”. I’ve told that story on countless occasions, and Ike loves it so much that he often asks me to throw the whizzer in non-wrestling situations. I might be having a hard time tuning my mandolin, or fishing my keys out of my pocket, and Ike will shout, “WADE, throw the WHIZZER!".

So, we were joking around with the other band, when the subject of band wrestling came up. We all laughed about how we often kill road boredom by spontaneous wrestling and Ike, of course, told them about my old coach- the way he would scream, “Throw the WHIZZER!". We all laughed amongst ourselves when the bass player from the other band asked, “Just what, exactly, IS the whizzer?

Ike dangled his arm over my shoulder. I reach up, grabbed it high on the bicep and bent over. That's when I heard a pop, and the sickening sound of splintering wood. I turned around, and Ike's guitar was completely smashed in on top. He was still wearing his guitar, and it had been between us when I demonstrated the move. We were both in total shock for a moment, and I thought I was going to throw up. It had happened so fast. Ike was pretty cool, and said, "It will be ok, we will call Mass Street Music and get it glued when we get back." His nonchalance was hardly calming to me, however, and were it not for a complete ban on handguns in the UK, I would have gone out right then in search of an instrument of my own demise, in retribution for my stupidity.

By this time, Betse had finished her solo, and we skulked back into the La Gayola tent. She turned around, looked at my pale face, and said, “Is everything ok?” I just shook my head, eyes fixed to the floor while Ike held the guitar up, like a dead rooster at a cock fight, for the wall-to-wall crowd's revulsion.

He finished the show on a baby grand piano that was luckily onstage, and we have been borrowing and renting guitars ever since. I still feel horrible about it, but I’m going to follow Ike’s lead and just try to keep positive thoughts about its possible repair.

Mike Horan, if you are reading this, we will see you first thing Wednesday morning. Get extra glue...

22 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! I'm so sorry about Ike's guitar. It was an accident for sure. It ranks right up there with the bass breaking at Winfield. Keep on having positive thoughts that Mass Street will make it good as new.

    Congrats on the award...have a safe trip home next Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a real tragedy. Look at the date, maybe it can be prevented with the right magic spell.
    magic spell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you mean Bungalow.
    I hadn't noticed the date.
    Maybe there is still time to ward off the "whizzed" accident.
    Let's all concentrate and say UMMMMM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read this well-written piece I began to believe it would end with someone breaking a wrist or dislocating a shoulder. Glad that it didn't.

    Clouds and storms will in time pass away. The sun again will shine bright and clear. Keep on the sunny side, Phil.

    Bill Rexroad
    Hutchinson, Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now that's a definition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lass and Laddies made it in OK last evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grim news from Mass Street Music repair guru, Mike Horan. Ike's guitar can and will be fixed. However, the repair will require the removal of it's back and several weeks of glue, clamping and reconstruction. Thus, no Silvertone for Winfield. Although Ike does have a few other archtop guitars, none of them will rival his old Sears. Alas, our Winfield 2006 performances will be comprimised from the get go. Luckily, we have a forgiving audience there...
    bp

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess my mind is just mesed up, but ever since I saw this header, I've been thinking about angels smoking crack.

    Anyway, I get to introduce the Wilders for the first show at Winfield. Anybody got any dirt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will only be at Winfield Thursday.
    LVJ we will miss meeting you again!! You will be hooked on Winfield after you go this year.
    Deb, give us an update on the Madison show when you can.
    Don't recall any dirt to pass along to tickmeister.
    Timmer are you a Minnesotian?? Did you see in the news this morning that it is one of the top states for longevity??
    Looking forward to seeing some of you at Winfield.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We also had one day at Winfield. Arrived there at 10:00 a.m. Thursday and had a great day.
    The Wilder's had two very good shows as Vieta has said. I will also let BroPhil tell about the Tickmeister on their show Thursday evening show. It was great fun. That evening at the 7:30 show, we had some very enthusiastic fans sitting behind us. That was a lot of fun to hear their comments, hoots, hollars, whistles, etc. etc. We saw Peggy, Rick, Mel, G.G., Mary, and sat two shows with Vieta.

    It was a memorable day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. How could I forget mentioning seeing our favorite daughter-in-law Kim there also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got back from Winfield about 9 PM Sunday, got there Tuesday PM, so I was ready. My second year as a worker after 30 or so years as a layabout. I will put my extended impressions on my own blog to save bandwidth here.

    Will say I had much fun. That piece of cake had a higher sugar density than I thought could exist outside a black hole. Thanks for that, also the hospitality at Chicken Train camp, and to all who handed me a beverage, a bit of food, or other stuff. It was very good to see you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sleeping, I'm trying to get ready for IBMA in Nashville, via Minneapolis, Madison and Chicago. There's so much to do and so little time. Sorry bloggers. Hopefully there will be time once we get to Nashville for me to sit down and try to distill what's happened in the last 6 weeks. But, if the next two weeks is anything like the last, I won't have much time to sleep, let alone write. Sorry, but we are bussssssssssyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In the meantime, I'm hoping I might get a regular blogger to write some more about Winfield-specifically about our own beloved Tickmeister's performance on Thursday. Hell, I don't need to write it, YOU WERE THERE. YOU SAW IT BETTER THAN ME. If Peggy, Vieta, or my good old mom want to help a brotherphil out, you will write in and describe the experience so I can pack cd's in the van for IBMA. THANKS!
    bp

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phil, I'm writing my own impressions of Winfield from this year. It's sort of long, so was planning on putting it on my own blog, not hijacking yours. Little busy here too, so won't likely get it done until tomorrow night at best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK..."good old Mom" will try to do justice to Tick's show with the Wilder's Thursday evening.
    Norm and I were delighted to see Tick show his skills at playing, singing, and flat-foot/buck dancing. WOW!!!! I for one am very impressed. It was great fun, and I want to compliment the T. for his talents on all of the above. We are hoping to see him perform again sometime.
    OK now Vieta and Peggy help me out....I didn't nearly do justice to this "great show" in my meager words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, to end the speculation, what happened was that the Wilders recruited guests for several of their shows this year. They included me for Thursday night, Mike Murphy, (an amazing blues harp player from Kansas City), Honky Tonk John (who knows about 4000 old country songs), Mid-day Ramblers (Lawrence bluegrass band), and even Tim O'Brien for a couple of songs. I did Ben Dewberry, Good Time Blues, and Greasy Skillet, songs that I have done with Wilders folks as well as a lot of others for the last 10 years or so. Also worked up the nerve to dance a bit, something that I have been working on for a couple of years.

    I once saw a review of a dancing pig vaudeville act that went something like "The amazing thing about the dancing pig is not how well the pig dances, but the fact that he dances at all." That would be usable in my case.

    So there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look for a long overdue post coming to a blog near you soon. Sorry for the delay.
    bp

    ReplyDelete
  18. Update on the guitar:
    Glue and Clamps and Glue....
    that's all I know for now.
    By the way, my dobro got smashed in the Newark airport on the way home from the UK and I've had to buy two dobros in the last month to get one that I think might work.
    Right now, Beard Guitars rules!
    New update is imminent. Hold on...
    bp

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a sad story. Basically, my old Regal was distorting at the tail end for years. Mike Horan at Mass Street Music gave it just a few more months before it was unfixable. The guys at the Newark airport just made it official. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got it out at the Crossroads Festival in KC. By that time, it was too late to file any claim. I am currently trying to decide whether or not to fix it one more time. We are recording in November and I'd like to have it as an option in the studio. I did get a nice low end Beard Gold Tone dobro that will be a logical replacement if the old Regal is indeed dead for good. Thanks for asking...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope I get my crap together and get a new blog posted before we go over 100 comments...JEEZ

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heard you were a big hit in Charlottesville, Virginia! Just wondering how were your accomodations?

    ReplyDelete