Tuesday, March 08, 2005

We Tried: Part Two

The morning after the blow out, we were able to get two new tires installed at a local Ponca City tire dealer. After paying for the tires, Ike and I went across the street to an O'Reilly Auto Parts store and purchased our own 12-ton bottle jack. By noon, we were back on the road, tired, but grateful for the experience. Now we had the knowledge and the means to change a flat once and for all. We kept our stops to a minimum and made it to an Albuquerque, New Mexico RV park by 10pm. Our friend, April, who was visiting friends in Albuquerque, met us the next morning for a New Mexico breakfast of huevos rancheros and then we were back on the road toward Tucson, Arizona. I took the first shift, and feeling a little more rested, settled into Albuquerque traffic. About 30 minutes into the trip, I noticed that The Chief's power seemed to be cutting out. I would push on the accelerator and feel a hesitation in the gas flow. It didn't seem like an emergency, but we decided to pull off at the next exit in Belen, New Mexico to inspect the engine. As I pulled off the highway, the engine stalled and I had to crank the wheel violently to maneuver the RV into a rolling stop outside a restaurant. The boys pulled off the engine shroud and started looking things over while I went inside to let the restaurant owners know why we had blocked about 7 of their parking spaces. Nate guessed that the fuel pump might be the culprit and a plan was hatched to try to get the engine started again to get to an auto parts store for a new pump. Unfortunately, The Chief would not start and, luckily, we were able to reach April again-begging her to come rescue us. She arrived in about half an hour and the boys took off to get the parts.

Betse and I remained behind and distracted ourselves from the situation by watching two young New Mexican boys skateboarding the parking lot. We could tell that they were curious about us, but they kept their distance at first. After awhile, the older of the boys asked Betse what we were doing. She explained that we had broken down and were trying to get the RV fixed. With their questions answered satisfactorily, Betse slipped inside The Chief and grabbed her video camera to tape the boys as they carved up and down the parking lot. We found out that the boys were the restaurant owner's kids, and the namesakes of the restaurant we had rolled into- Jake and Andre's. With the ice broken, I gathered up some courage and ask Andre if I could have a turn on his skateboard while we waited for Ike and Nate to return.

Within an hour, April's Subaru came back into view and Nate put on his coveralls and broke out the tools. He didn't think it was going to be a particularly difficult fix and Betse and I relaxed as he climbed under The Chief and set about pulling off the old fuel pump. The afternoon was slipping past and, although I had confidence in our two mechanics, I began to formulate alternative travel plans in case the fuel pump switch failed to get our RV back on the road. With the old pump removed, Ike and Nate carefully went to work installing it's replacement. It turned out to be slightly more difficult than they had anticipated, but soon the pump was on and Nate sent Ike up top to turn the engine over. The engine cranked and cranked but it still wouldn't start. Score: Chief two, Wilders zero.

While we stood in the parking lot, Ike and Nate both grabbed their cell phones and began furiously making calls for advice while pacing incessantly around the RV. Betse and decided to start working on the alternative plan to get the band to Tucson and walked to a nearby hotel to borrow a yellow pages to investigate our van rental options. It was now 5pm and with our remaining light vanishing, I was able to reserve a mini van in the nearby town of Los Lunos about 15 minutes away. Before we could get out of the hotel lobby, Ike called me on my cell phone and told me someone had stopped to help and that there might still be hope. He told me that while they were in the parking lot on their phones, a man pulled up to the restaurant to drop off his daughter for work. He asked them what the problem was and when they explained the situation, he jumped out and picked up the old fuel pump that was lying on the ground. He pumped the arm that attaches to a cam inside the engine and pushed it a couple of times until gas sprayed out the other end. "This pumps still good," he said. Our newest angel, Napoleon "Nappie" Munoz, was now on the scene.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Wilders bloggers. I thought you would like to know that the Wilders
    are in good spirits and their recent shows have had wonderful crowds
    and active participants. Just before Ike left on this tour we decide
    to purchase cells phones especially given that I saw Ike, my husband,
    about 30-50 days out of the whole last year and a half. Although I
    hate how cell phones are utilized in society, I was thankful today for
    my opportunity to talk to the whole band as they stopped for gas and
    goodies today. On speaker phone, I gave out my lovins and
    encouragements to them all. I wish all of you could hear the Wilders
    chime in. Betse assured me that they believe if this was their worst
    tour, they would be able to make it and continue on this journey as a
    band. I told them how the Blog is a support system for all of us that
    can't physically be with and on their journey. They were heading back
    into the Berkley area. Although they didn't say this, I think the
    combination of the sound of the ocean and all the good energy fans send
    their way has been healing. Mary, their caring agent, is also checking
    in with them shortly. So, don't worry they are well.--Sweetpea

    Anyone else had trouble posting? I had a heck of a time getting here to post sweetP's message, had to go back to the Dash Board but finally did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vieta and groopies (if you want to post this Vieta), talked to Ike
    Sunday as they were headed into Chico, CA to play at a really grand
    scale, fun brewery. Sounded like a really professional sound and stage
    set up there, compared to the bar the night before. Ike said the bar
    environment did let them have a stress break- a little kick back time.
    Ike was thrilled to see old friend, a college roomy, at the bar show.
    The sounds from the van were lively and strong. Know that the Wilders
    seem upbeat and moving along. --Sweetpea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilders: I'm going to pick a deity and pray for the chief...

    LVJ, were you making a point by posting your deja vu post twice?

    As a former college classmate of Ike's, I'm curious as to which roomie he ran into. Mayhap I will ask him next time I see him.

    Re: Hee-Haw: BIG FAN. I want those DVDs so bad!

    Okay, I'm going to bed now. If anyone has any good ideas as to how to teach 7th grade kids how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions, (keeping in mind they've been programmed to believe they "can't do fractions", send them my way via my dreams.

    And Wilders, I might just pick TWO deities to pray to about the chief... Just in case.

    ReplyDelete